Berliner Lever-Wind Gramophone: "On This Day in Phonographic History..."

"On This Day in Phonographic History..."

February 8, 1898: Levi Montross was granted a U.S. patent (No.598,529) for a “Spring Motor.”  This device would become the first spring motor to power the Berliner Gramophone.  These lever-wound machines were available from December 1896 until August 1897.

The first version was in a metal "can" mounted to a wooden baseboard:

2820710_BerlinerLever1.thumb.JPG.0706c5a8e954448c86dfe9076524e397.JPG

From The Talking Machine Compendium by Fabrizio & Paul.  All Rights Reserved.

The second version was in a wooden cabinet:

1329096008_BerlinerLever2.thumb.JPG.f918e4a01c651a8d5f290248f19f169f.JPG

From The Talking Machine Compendium by Fabrizio & Paul.  All Rights Reserved.

MontrossUS598529_00001.thumb.jpg.a2e298467c9589b5521c5ca943e42467.jpg

• Like 3

George,

I love these posts. They are entertaining and informative. I think you should consider another book with this as the topic! Daily meditations for phono-nerds.

Dan

I'm glad you enjoy the posts, Dan.  I'm not quite at "daily," but maybe in a few more years' time...

As for another book, don't you know that people don't buy books anymore???😉

Thanks for the encouragement!

George P.

45 minutes ago, phonogfp said:

As for another book, don't you know that people don't buy books anymore???😉

I was mostly joking as you surely knew.

But, I still buy books of all kinds and I use the printed phonograph books I have quite a lot. I still find it much easier to study something with a printed book. Online is a different and much less satisfying way to actually study something. Finding quick info and references works pretty well, but really knowing what you are dealing with is much easier with a physical book. Then again my perspective could be skewed as my part-time retirement job is in a bookstore. We sure do sell a lot of books to folks what do not read online or on a device.

• Like 2

I too was being tongue-in-cheek, but I'm not planning to write any more books!

I'm like you, Dan, in preferring a book to reading online.  12 or 15 years ago, our daughter and her husband gave me a Kindle for Christmas.  I happily loaded all sorts of obscure books on it - - the sort of thing I couldn't find in our local bookstores (almost all of which have since closed, unfortunately).  But I found that navigating was often impossible - for instance if I was reading an anthology of stories, it often wouldn't let me choose the story from the Table of Contents.  Instead I had to plod page-by-page to arrive where I wanted to be.  I expect they've improved things since then, but meanwhile, I lost patience with the thing.  I don't recall ever losing patience with a real book.

I also value having control of the book.  I don't need to be dependent upon a website, ISP, or even the power company to read a book. 

One thing's for sure - - Even if I someday must sell every phonograph and record I own, I'll die still owning all my phonograph books!

George P.

• Like 1
Neilvanstem

Ha ha no one buys books any more. Sure wish then the prices would come down. I just paid $85.00 for a biography of some opera singer.