“Music on Parade” (Capehart Advertisement) by Sherman, Clay & Co. ca. 1930s

melvind

“Music on Parade” (Capehart Advertisement) by Sherman, Clay & Co. ca. 1930s

This private record created by the Sherman, Clay & Co. to advertise the array of Capehart phonographs and radios in the late 1930s. The sound samples on the record are of pretty poor quality and they sound like someone put a microphone in front of a speaker to capture the content.

00:00 Part 1 is recorded much louder than Part 2. It contains samples of records which sound much better than the radio content of Part 2. The weirdest thing on this side is the Lawrence Tibbett sample. The speed fluctuates several times in just a few seconds which is a bit musically disturbing.

03:35 Part 2 contains samples from the various radio tuners the Capehart contained. The entire side is recorded much softer than side one and is not nearly as successful (at least to me).

All in all, an interesting and fun record that shows advertising practices of the time it was recorded. Does anyone know exactly what year this record was produced? I could not find any specific information about it.

• Like 1

A search the the APS Content Library for Sherman, Clay shows several references to period newsletter Talking Machine World, circa 1917. 1918.  It appears they were a large Victor Distributor on the west-coast, LA, San Fran, Portland.

They were also the manufactures of the Banjuke, a cross between a Ukulele and the Banjo.  That must have been quite a treat!

1286206109_Screenshot2021-01-2418_42_50.png.36c247316d8c0e401cb2e0e821ac4639.png

Sherman, Clay & Co. also put dealer tags on lots of machines. I have seen quite a few over the years. Here is a picture of my front mount Vic R with one of the tags.

20210124_165737.thumb.jpg.e413248fa728f013d2f844eff3ebc6b6.jpg

• Like 1