Vic III Back Bracket issue

NateO

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this, so feel free to move it if it fits better under another forum.

I'm having an issue with the back bracket on my Victor III slipping to one side. It is only an issue if I turn the horn towards one side, which just happens to be the side I need to turn it to to use the machine. Until recently, the horn on my III was  a very lightweight option, one of the cardboard Victor Distributing and Export Co. horns. I spent a great deal of time stuck at home in December, and decided it was time for a change of scenery, so I swapped in the standard Victor black and brass horn that came with the machine. 

I've attached a few photos showing the parts on my machine. The metal bracket on the interior is secure, and does not shift at all when the back bracket does. It seems the issue is play between the threaded bolt and the back bracket. This is still my only external horn disc phonograph, so I'm not sure if there is something completely obvious that I'm missing, or it's an issue just with my III. I was thinking of trying to add a sleeve of some kind to the bolt, to see if that will prevent it from slipping. Does anyone else have any other thoughts? 

level.jpg

not level.jpg

PXL_20210110_173654061.jpg

PXL_20210110_173859355.jpg

Huh!

I've never encountered this problem, Nate, but have you tried switching the bolts from one side to the other?

If you're absoloootely, positively sure that the interior plate isn't shifting, try threading the bolt into the plate from the INSIDE to be sure there isn't a metal splinter keeping the bolt from tightening completely.

If that doesn't work, it might be that one bolt's threads are just shy of being deep enough to secure the bracket.  You might try a washer on the offending bolt, or even a thin craft board shim between the bracket and the cabinet.

Good luck!

George P.

27 minutes ago, Tinfoilphono said:

Are the holes in the bracket itself worn to an oval shape?

Huh! That never even occurred to me. 

George, I did try swapping the bolts, but no luck there. I'll play around with some of your suggestions when I have a chance and see if that'll do it.

But taking a closer look at the bracket, I'm thinking we found our issue. I'm far from an expert, but I believe this is an original Victor bracket. Judging by the way these holes were drilled, I'm guessing the machine was assembled on a Friday afternoon...

Like I said, something completely obvious I've been missing for years. So much for Victor quality!

PXL_20210110_200230612.jpg

16103091853076967664433236693140.jpg

• Like 1

Ha!  I think you found your problem!

Well, in light of that, you might want to slightly adjust that interior plate to accommodate for the "creative" placement of those holes...

George P.

Well, looks like that did it! It's still not perfect, but it's far more secure.  Going back to the lighter horn was probably the easiest choice, but I've really been enjoying the classic black and brass.

I can't believe I didn't catch that sooner, and I'm also shocked that Victor didn't catch it before the machine left the factory. But I guess reaching out to customer service won't do me any good. Something tells me the warranty is long since voided...

4 hours ago, NateO said:

I guess reaching out to customer service won't do me any good. Something tells me the warranty is long since voided...

That's right, Nate - - as soon as you removed that back bracket, you voided the warranty!

What did you do to fix the problem?

George P.

7 hours ago, phonogfp said:

What did you do to fix the problem?

I actually did exactly as you suggested. I played with the placement of that interior plate, so the bracket now doesn't slip when I turn the horn to that side. So far so good!

• 2 weeks later...

The screw that holds the metal plate should have a washer under the head of the screw.   Perhaps the washer is missing.  The addition of the wash would apply more pressure to the cabinet and help hold the plate in the desired position.

Edited by Oregonian