June Arrives Early For APS Members ×

Columbia Type B "Eagle"

Tinfoilphono

AmberolaAndy
13 hours ago, phonogfp said:

Andy,  offhand I don't know the thread pitch, but I can try taking one to my local hardware and have them check it. 

Thank you George. I also made a thread on the Yankee Trader on the other board about getting a proper speed screw and belt cover. 

I also need to remedy the start/stop lever because is too loose and no amount of tightening is fixing my problem there.

Andy, it's an obsolete (determined as measured with precision thread gauge and calipers) #10-30 x 1" long with 3/16" shoulder round head machine screw. Here's a link to a short discussion if you're interested: HERE

You could try antique auto restoration sites/forums and perhaps find adequate replacements you need.

20230304_074751.thumb.jpg.2c1b80cf908fdd55e46cd1dc2b7aa60d.jpg

20230304_080852.thumb.jpg.510e2b8d9f69ba8eb2f6f59420dfc36b.jpg

Edited by Fran604g
Added image

• 4 weeks later...

My eyes are glazing over as I research my next article, so I decided to do something fun: talk about Eagle Graphophones...  (Crowd collectively groans.)

But seriously, folks...  What other machine offers so much variation and mystery?  Here's an example I recently acquired which revealed a couple of surprises.

EagleIlsen2.thumb.JPG.89f36913085e489333406d083ab860d7.JPG

I bought this one because of its nickel-plated "Ilsen & Co." dealer tag, but as I disassembled it for cleaning, I noticed something very odd.  The metal base plate had unusually well-defined machining (I call this "brushed metal" but there's probably a professional term). 

EagleIlsen6.thumb.JPG.b2454bf6618afeef1fe85421d5256f13.JPG

When I flipped it over I discovered that the bottom had been polished!

EagleIlsen5.thumb.JPG.95a3bf7d3e2e57d10dae48bff875c8e3.JPG

Those who have read my article on unexpected polished nickel bits on Graphophones in the March 2018 issue of the APS magazine may remember seeing a BS coin-op made up of polished nickel parts.  Over the past 5 years I've documented 7 of these oddballs, and I expect there are others out there.  This, however, is the first I've seen of a Graphophone part being polished on the wrong side.

But that wasn't all!

Cleaning off the grime revealed a polished nickel carriage on this Eagle.

EagleIlsen3.thumb.JPG.8b6db6119726bf956bab02386f01c8e9.JPG

So there you have it - even what appears to be a conventional Eagle may have surprises...  but this isn't even a conventional Eagle.  It's another example of what was originally a $10 caseless Eagle (with its serial number stamped on the belt cover) being converted to a cased example through the use of Columbia's $2 case.  Note that there's no data plate in the usual location, nor 4 holes for the brads that would hold it.

EagleIlsen4.thumb.JPG.e00df39b2c1b90389c3ea6f111e2b8e1.JPG

EagleIlsen1.thumb.JPG.943a693a27ac98ddb62e7e4a439b57d1.JPG

George P.

• Like 1

Tinfoilphono

Wow -- a very cool find, George! More evidence that the 'nickeled and polished' Eagles didn't sell well, and they had a lot of leftover parts that they used up in ordinary machines.

I'm surprised they bothered to brush the nickeled base plate. They evidently weren't concerned about having mismatched finishes given that the carriage is bright nickel. The brushing looks much more 'aggressive' than the usual Eagle. They really went to town on knocking down the shine.

4 hours ago, Tinfoilphono said:

I'm surprised they bothered to brush the nickeled base plate. They evidently weren't concerned about having mismatched finishes given that the carriage is bright nickel. The brushing looks much more 'aggressive' than the usual Eagle. They really went to town on knocking down the shine.

Thanks Rene - I'm betting that the brushed side was never polished.  Polishing the underside was clearly a mistake...or maybe an apprentice's first try, after which it was tossed into inventory.  Who knows?  In any event, the company didn't seem to care that some parts were very shiny!

• Like 1