How to install a leather drive belt on an Edison triumph cylinder phonograph Demonstration by Wyatt Marcus

RodPickett

This is a skill that is a great introductory skill for people wanting to repair phonographs since it is the one thing that usually stands in the way of getting one to run.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Great video with ideas I never thought of. I have only once changed a belt as I was waiting for the new belt to arrive. Well what I used (an old belt split) worked so well I never used the new belting material when it arrived. Now I see where I might have done a better job. Thanks so much for posting this. Neil

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

You are doing nothing wrong.  I did.  We moved Server files and I forgot to move this one.  It is now restored.  Thank you for the alert.

• 2 months later...

Wyatt is fantastic at the art of restoring our machines. Just got an Orthophonic reproducer rebuild from him. Can't get enough of listening to it now.

The only thing with his method on belts that I personally would differ with (just my own results) is I found that Loctite GEL Superglue works fantastic for fusing that lap on the belt as well. This cyanoacrylate has elastic properties to its polymer that allow it to be used even on rubber and has a good shear strength. I've done a couple of Standard belts with this glue with great results, and less concern for the cure time.