How do you store your records?

maginter

Hi All -

Hopefully, this isn't to far off on this forum.  I have a bunch of records that I have sorted out by label and have on a large set of shelves.  I has several in plastic Magazine holders, but now that I go to purchase more, they have shortened the depth down to 9-1/2 inches from the original 10-1/2 inches.  I have about 700 records that I would like to organize.  I know there are cardboard versions, but with the weight and handling of the records, I fear they will not last long.

Appreciate your feedback!

Thanks!

Mark

How do you store your records? Well when you have thousands any way I can. Often I have them stored in ways most say you shouldn't but I have no choice. My favorite way many say is no good but I still like the albums/books that hold ten, twelve or more. Those I stand up on shelves mostly but some times on their sides. If opened correctly there is not much breakage. In fact I think the books/albums protect the records more then hurt them. But I have them in stacks (shouldn't) too. Many like to put them in sleeves then stand up but I do not have the room to do that. I just gave away about three or four crates of nice records and still no room. I look forward to hear how other store records in large collections. Neil

Mine are all stored in Nauck sleeves and placed on edge in Ikea shelving units. I have them sorted by label then by record number and cross referenced to an access database I wrote for lookup. Works a champ! You can see two of the units in this grainy B&W picture.

000273710009.jpg

Edited by Mainspring
Swap photo

So organized! I am impressed. Mine are stored in the "kind of in order" method with important records to me in locations I can easily find. But, most are in sleeves or record albums a bit random. And, currently there are a number of stacks around my phonograph rooms waiting to be put away. Where will they go?

Okay to things I see being discussed here. How do you store your records but some are talking about how you organize them. Seems like different animals?

2 hours ago, Neilvanstem said:

Okay to things I see being discussed here. How do you store your records but some are talking about how you organize them. Seems like different animals?

Yes, I have almost 2,500 records.  All I want to do is store them for reasonable access and grouping.  I'll organize them when I retire!  Well, maybe...  LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neilvanstem said:

To me, it is one and the same topic. Otherwise, what is the point of having a record you can't find, and if finding it easily means a functional storage solution they go hand in hand.

22 hours ago, Mainspring said:

To me, it is one and the same topic. Otherwise, what is the point of having a record you can't find, and if finding it easily means a functional storage solution they go hand in hand.

Well how many records do you have? Me.. ten to twenty thousand so they can only be orgainzed so far. 

29 minutes ago, Neilvanstem said:

Well how many records do you have? Me.. ten to twenty thousand so they can only be orgainzed so far. 

Space and quantity does make a difference. I hate to use the word but I have always tried to "curate" my collection to keep numbers down. So I check in around 7000. I have managed to mark all my dupes though so if I run out of space I can pull them and move them elsewhere or give them away. Everybody has their own way of doing things so we discuss it so others may get an idea that will solve their problems.

• 4 months later...
KiltedTailor

OK Newbie here, what the A.P. Hill are "Nauck  sleeves"?  And where do you buy such an animal.  Related, is it possible to still buy the album sort of storage method?

OK Newbie here, what the A.P. Hill are "Nauck  sleeves"?  And where do you buy such an animal.  Related, is it possible to still buy the album sort of storage method?"

The "Nauck Sleeves" are available from Kurt Nauck at this URL:

https://shop.78rpm.com/index.php?id_product=181&controller=product#/minimum_order-does_your_order_meet_the_50_sleeve_minimum

As for album storage, you will get other opinions but personally, I don't trust albums. I see too many broken records in them. Yes, I know handling has alt to do with that but I have never had a broken record stored on edge in a good sleeve.

• 7 months later...

Most of my 78s are in record cases and some are in crates, My DDs are in the cabinet of the C-19. And all my cylinders are in their own cabinet too. So my collection of DDs and cylinders ain’t as big as most folks here. 

• 1 year later...
Cranks-n-Horns417

I probably break all pf the rules but...I put all of mine into new craft paper 78 rpm record sleeves. I write the record number and other info on the front of sleeve and then store/display in 13 black, plastic milk crates (after placing a layer of soft, silicone shelf liner on the bottom) The crates are a perfect 12" x 12" x 10.5" so you can also stack the crates without any danger of contact or damage. I've used this method for at least 20 years with not a single damaged or broken record.

Erich

myrecords.jpeg

• Like 1