Just bought a brand new Audio Technica LP120 with three speeds.

marcapra

I just acquired something I thought I was over with, more classical 78s in albums.  They include complete operas, as well as string quartets, tone poems, sonatas, symphonies, and concerti.  I didn't think 1920s phonographs could handle the sound from many classical records, such as Koussevitsky's 1935 recording of Also Sprach Zarathustra on Victor.  I was right, the 1920s machines could not handle many of the classical 78s.  So I bought a modern turntable with a 78 speed.  Of course, I bought an extra head shell and the Audio-Technica AT-VM95SP Dual Moving Magnet Cartridge with a 3 mil stylus for playing 78s.  My only gripe about this turntable is that it is completely manual.  I wish it could have had a shut off at the end of a record like my old Thorens TD 145.  But my old Thorens didn't have a 78 speed.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marcapra said:

I just acquired something I thought I was over with, more classical 78s in albums.  They include complete operas, as well as string quartets, tone poems, sonatas, symphonies, and concerti.  I didn't think 1920s phonographs could handle the sound from many classical records, such as Koussevitsky's 1935 recording of Also Sprach Zarathustra on Victor.  I was right, the 1920s machines could not handle many of the classical 78s.  So I bought a modern turntable with a 78 speed.  Of course, I bought an extra head shell and the Audio-Technica AT-VM95SP Dual Moving Magnet Cartridge with a 3 mil stylus for playing 78s.  My only gripe about this turntable is that it is completely manual.  I wish it could have had a shut off at the end of a record like my old Thorens TD 145.  But my old Thorens didn't have a 78 speed.  

Congratulations, I also have the Audio-Technica LP120 and love its versatility for the price. One of the reasons I bought it was because it is completely manual. My old Dual CS-5000 has the auto-shutoff and I I hated it every time it cut off a recoding right before the end when the record had grooves all the way to the label. It was also nearly impossible to record small records like Little Wonder. No problems there with the AT-LP120.

I'd love to find "Also Sprach Zarathustra" on 78...

Andreas

I also have the same one! You can’t go wrong. I have the same cart/stylus combo as well. It works quite decently with most 78s, especially for the price. I like that there is a spot to stick the other headshell when not in use too. 

Ditto to all comments.   This turntable is great value for the cost.  The features available would have cost substantially more several years ago.  I have been especially impressed with its ability to track a warped disk.

All this modern stuff and I am lost. To me my little Webcor handles anything I have. Obviously I know less then most..... ha ha Sounds fascinating anyway.

Neil

I recommend getting a set of different styli ranging from 2.5 - 4.0 mils, including truncated and conical versions.  You will be astonished by the sonic differences (improvements) derived from tracking different parts of the groove.

John

On 11/2/2020 at 4:15 AM, marcapra said:

...Of course, I bought an extra head shell and the Audio-Technica AT-VM95SP Dual Moving Magnet Cartridge with a 3 mil stylus for playing 78s.  ...

I also have the same set up laying through a rebuilt Pioneer SA-7100 integrated amp and Pioneer equalizer. A word of warning about that cartridge, I owned one and it blew out pretty quickly with no warning or warranty because it came from Japan. I did not go back to another one. Good turntable though.

On 11/6/2020 at 8:24 AM, Analogous said:

I recommend getting a set of different styli ranging from 2.5 - 4.0 mils, including truncated and conical versions.  You will be astonished by the sonic differences (improvements) derived from tracking different parts of the groove.

John

i agree with this, but it sounds easier than it is to find them. And when you do, they can be expensive. 

On 11/4/2020 at 4:57 PM, Neilvanstem said:

All this modern stuff and I am lost. To me my little Webcor handles anything I have. Obviously I know less then most..... ha ha Sounds fascinating anyway.

Neil

Neil, not to worry. A cheap old Califone works wonders for this. I like being a Luddite.

I love my LP-120. Great turntable for records that are too rare and valuable or too new to play on a acoustic machine! I bought an audio technica mono cart with a 3mil stylus for mine! Those school record players work awesome for 78s too but make sure you don’t buy the Astatic or Phansteil cart with LP styli on both sides.

Edited by AmberolaAndy

On 11/11/2020 at 7:26 PM, melvind said:

i agree with this, but it sounds easier than it is to find them. And when you do, they can be expensive. 

You're right about cost, Dan, and spending time finding the best stylus to play each of your records can detract from simple, enjoyable listening.  But, for discs you treasure and when making transfers, the effort is well worth it.  There are two options available from Esoteric Sound - a Nakoaka with interchangeable styli and a set of Grados.  If you are a fan of truncated styli (that avoid the noisy bottom of the groove,  you will have to buy specific sizes from Expert Stylus in England (still in business!). They can provide these for most common cartridges.

I use a VM670SP but be very careful and do not let the tonearm slip onto the mat while it’s spinning. This has been a $89 dollar lesson for me. 

• 2 months later...

Nice!  I should consider an upgrade.  The only thing missing here is a switch to toggle between vertical and lateral discs.  I suppose that could be added.