Edison Blue Amberol Rim Information

RodPickett

Ron Dethlefson documented some detail included on the rims of Blue Amberol cylinders that is often overlooked or unknown by newer collectors.  The rims of BA's contain a "code" that represents the "mold" and "take" of a particular cylinder, repeated here:

953428790_BARimInformation.thumb.png.40ae77dfeda767bb52fbd1c4addd831c.png 

• Like 1

Very interesting. I have never heard that before, or at least it had never stayed in my brain if I had. Now I have to start looking at my records. Thanks for the post.

Here is some further documentation regarding experimental BA's and an example of the Roosevelt Progressive Covenant experimental cylinder, not released.  In this example, the edge is beveled, not rounded and no serial-number is etched.

2077302898_BAExperimentalCylinders.thumb.png.7ef834784c35f114cfe46e7da266549c.png

711319683_BARoosevelt.thumb.jpg.470bd4f6c874a5d8471e530204d2b190.jpg

If I have any claim to fame in this hobby, it was my discovery of the document at the Edison site that gives the production number per mold for blue amberols. I went there with Ron in June 1995, and that was one of the research goals. When I found it and showed him, he came pretty close to leaping out of his skin.

I might have a copy of it somewhere, but am sure it exists in his papers (who got his papers?).  If I find mine, I’ll publish it here. 

That sure was fun, and is amongst my favorite hobby memories. 

• Like 1