Columbia Demonstration / Advertising Records 1910 and 1913

melvind

Here are a couple of interesting records. Not particularly rare as they were produced likely in the millions each. But, they are unique. I find  this type of thing lots of fun and really like it when I find one. Many of you will already know these records, but some will not. Enjoy!

Columbia Special Demonstration Double-Disc 1910

DAHR: https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/2000020012/19104-Kentucky_babe

Special Columbia Advertising Record 1913

DAHR: https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/2000138887/3330-Good_night_little_girl_good_night

Edited by melvind
  • Like 2

I have the first one. You're right that this isn't rare; it's a far cry from the Edison advertising cylinder, but it's a very fun recording as well as historically significant. I get a big kick out of it.

I have both but have you seen the Canadian one? These are horrid pictures but you get the idea.

Canada 2.jpg

Canada 1.jpg

Edited by Mainspring

Nice Canadian record. I do have the one Canadian one, made for Canada, with the song O Canada and a different price then the one for the American market. I would think it is almost as common as the first demonstration record you show? Neil

A very nice forum member provided me with the 1923 Sample Record which is a bit different than the 1910 and 1913 versions. There is no announcement or talking at all. Just music on both sides. One side is Ted Lewis and the other a beautiful song sung by Charles Hackett and a Violin solo by Tascha Seidel. Another interesting record that might even be less rare than the other two. The Schubert side starts at 03:04.

Columbia Sample Record 1923

Congratulations Dan on another great transfer!   Nice to see you have the matching, seldom seen  sleeve for the gold/copper-labeled sample record too!  Glad you were able to obtain examples of the three U.S. versions of Columbia's demonstration, advertising, and sample records!

Thanks for taking the time and effort to produce these wonderful videos!   It's great to see high guality, well done videos of all three Columbia's presented in one place!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Not to beat a dead horse... But, I recently acquired the Canadian version of the 1913 Special Advertising Record. The second side is exactly the same as the American version with Henry Burr singing a slow ballad. The difference on that side is the label showing Canada and 30 cents instead of 25 cents as on the American version. The first side though is entirely different and mentions it being manufactured in Canada and the label has different songs listed on it. This copy is not in the best shape, but still is fun to hear and know about. It was new to me.

Special Columbia Advertising Record (Canada) 1913

• Like 3