Need to know definitively whether my HMV Gramophone and box of HMV Needles are genuine or cheap knock offs

fbagnato

Hello all,

I have a "HMV" Gramophone and pack of "HMV" Needles that I am intending to sell.

I am not experienced with Gramophones so I do not know whether the Gramophone and Needles are genuine original His Master's Voice items or cheap knock offs.

I do not intend to mislead any potential buyers stating that the items are genuine so I need some help definitively determining whether the items are genuine or cheap knock offs.

From watching the video at https://gramophoneguru.com/real-or-replica/ I think the Gramophone is a fake but I am not sure.

To make it more confusing the Gramophone has a price tag on it for AUD $649.00.

I have inserted photos of the Gramophone and Box of Needles and would appreciate some input from experienced people in this field.

If they are both fake items, any idea of what prices to ask?

If the needles are fake are they safe to use in Gramophones or could they damage their records?

I would not sell the needles if they could do damage to someones records.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Regards,

fbagnato

20200915_150532.jpg

20200915_150908(0).jpg

20200915_150542.jpg

20200915_150551.jpg

20200915_150653.jpg

20200915_150700.jpg

20200915_150742.jpg

20200915_150759.jpg

20200915_150817.jpg

Hello Fbagnato,

Unfortunately these items are knock offs as you probably feared  and worth very little.  Most collectors would not be interested at all but someone might enjoy it for home decorating.  $50-150 would be a rough ball park for the lot.

Hello Valecnik!

Thank-you very much for replying.

I needed to know for sure as I do not want to rip anyone off.

Glad I asked the question.

Are the needles safe to use or could they damage the buyer's records?

Regards,

fbagnato

• 2 weeks later...

A package of needles can be gotten on E bay for around $ 10.00 or less. That would be the better way to go on records.  A steel needle is only good for one play then it starts to ruin a record.    A lot of thrift shops have very cheap shellac records for under a dollar.  Not a lot of people understand them or want them.  Tom

Hello Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

I have disposed of the needles and sold the Repro-Gramophone to a collector but specified that the Gramophone wasn't original so that potential buyers were not under any false impressions.

Regards,

fbagnato