Phono Demos

Just curious to see what people are doing, if at all, for phonograph demos. I do a few every year and have a small one coming up this coming weekend. I am taking a Columbia AB with 4Foot horn, a Victor I, Victor VV-50 portable, possibly a Columbia Q, a couple small ones like a Mignonphone and a Pigmy phone and a Gem model C. A selection of Cylinders and discs to play. The demo is in the open air at the local historical society. I have a 2 page flyer I made with some basic info and just spend my time spinning records and talking to a few folks. Basically trying to stir interest in the hobby among young folks.

Demos... I call them phonograph presentations. I had shown my doctor's office at Oak Street health my recommendations from others I had done this for and on paper what I would show/talk about and also some photos of my machines. They thought it great but since it seems most folks nowadays are Spanish speakers they would not understand me. So to my disappointment they said no. So to my regret I cannot be understood any longer in my neighborhood. Sad but true.

47 minutes ago, Neilvanstem said:

Demos... I call them phonograph presentations. I had shown my doctor's office at Oak Street health my recommendations from others I had done this for and on paper what I would show/talk about and also some photos of my machines. They thought it great but since it seems most folks nowadays are Spanish speakers they would not understand me. So to my disappointment they said no. So to my regret I cannot be understood any longer in my neighborhood. Sad but true.

Neil, that blows. Sorry to hear that. My demo/presentation was woefully witnessed. I think everyone was somewhere other than where I was this weekend. On the other hand, some friends were they and they enjoyed the music. The public who came by just looked then averted their eyes, whether it was out of disinterest or a lack of understanding I know not.

• 1 year later...
46 minutes ago, CurtA said:

If you changed your topic from Phonos to iPhone Demos, you would probably attract more interest - unfortunately...

Don't even get me started on that one. Smart phones are a socially accepted addiction for some reason. I will not own one.

• 1 month later...

I have participated in phonograph demonstrations once a year since 1981 a the Mining and Rollo Jamison Museums in Platteville, WI at an event called Heritage Day celebrating local history.  The collection has a number of phonographs/gramophones as well as music boxes and organettes.  The presentation I do (based on what my father set up originally) uses an Edison Fireside cylinder phonograph with a 2/4 minute conversion and a Brunswick phonograph with a single reproducer (rotated to play lateral and Edison discs).  We also demonstrate Regina Corona Style 35  music box, an Imperial Symphonium 7" music box, Concert Roller Organ, Angelica Orguinette, and a 1920 Kimball player piano (which people are encouraged to play - with signage). The average attendance is somewhere between 500-1000 people during the course of the day from 9 am to 5 pm and maybe about a quarter of them actually walk through the room I demonstrate in.

Most people just walk through, politely smiling, but some ask questions and are thoroughly engaged with what I present.  Typically though since they are really just passing through they won't stay for an entire song.  I view part of my role is to provide more context to the museum displays.  They do have audio clips that can be played but the quality is not anywhere near the same as the real thing.

When I started demonstrating. a lot of people would say they or their dad have a Victrola (almost always Victrola - rarely phonograph - sometimes record player or even turntable, at least earlier) which gradually turned into their grandfather had one of those in the attic or out in the barn. Now most people who talk to me about them haven't seen one play before.  Also it is interesting trying to relate it to the new technology.  I used to have a spiel about LPs typically holding about 20 minutes per side vs the 2/4 minute cylinder, a CD holding around 75 minutes, the Regina Corona being able to play all 12 tune sheets in one winding like an early jukebox (which then I point out the Regina Hexaphone in the corner).  The last few years, I have had a problem with this in that the kids don't know what a CD, record or jukebox is.  Streaming platforms like Spotify just makes it so easy to listen to whatever you want that physical media isn't even in their vocabulary. Last year I even had one kid arguing with me that the morning glory horn attached to the Edison Fireside was really a Bluetooth speaker.

Most of the time my demonstrations are cut short because everybody wants to play the player piano which outcompetes all of the other instruments.  Wherever you set up, try to make sure there aren't competing sound sources.

• Like 1