How to Safely Pack a Large Machine for Shipping

Valecnik

In this case it's an Edison Triumph with a music master horn.  Not sure I'm an "expert" but it pains me to see those postings of beautiful 100+ year old machines in pieces after shipping and I was determined not to see yet another newly dissatisfied owner posting pictures of a broken bedplate, shattered case or smashed oak music master horn so here’s what I did:

THE WORKS: Removed from the case. The motor was then detached from the bedplate and each put into a separate box , heavily bubble wrapped. Those inner two boxes, the motor beneath, were put into a larger box. The outer walls, bottom and top of the larger box were lined with ¾ inch hard foam insulation. The two boxes then were tight packed with peanuts around, into the larger box.

THE CASE: Wrapped in bubble wrap, packed separately in a box slightly larger than the case and then fit into the outer box. Tight packed, with packing material. The outer walls bottom and top of the larger box again were lined with ¾ inch hard foam insulation. All the small bits & Model O reproducer were packed inside the case.

THE HORN: Double boxing the horn would be problematic because the box would have to be so big so I opted for a somewhat smaller box, of wood again lined with ¾ inch hard foam insulation, foam plumbing pipe insulation around the circumference of the bell and the neck of the horn, then filled the box inside and outside of the horn with packing peanuts. It wasn’t going anywhere.

THE RESULT: About 51 kilos or 112 pounds of Triumph in the three boxes. All arrived without a scratch to the new owner. 

packed triumph 1.jpg

packed triumph 2.jpg

packed triumph 2.jpg

packed triumph 3.jpg

72870591_10156896274067684_7062640433381244928_o.jpg

78491653_10156896273452684_2082048189157867520_o.jpg

74316002_10156896273537684_2885280487385858048_o.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Bruce, your packing job was magnificent.  Virtually every Edison I sell now goes out in 3 boxes, separated similarly to your Triumph.  Trying to cut corners, save on shipping, etc., is a fool's errand.  

cheers,

Raphael

1 hour ago, Raphael said:

Bruce, your packing job was magnificent.  Virtually every Edison I sell now goes out in 3 boxes, separated similarly to your Triumph.  Trying to cut corners, save on shipping, etc., is a fool's errand.  

cheers,

Raphael

Thank you Raphael.  I know I bring up this subject a lot but I'm so tired of seeing the posts on Facebook and elsewhere of totally destroyed machines and other objects that could have been easily avoided.

Your packing is also legendary.  You are one of those that gets it.    Saving a couple hours of and/or a little money by skimping on packing is indeed a fools errand.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/9/2020 at 9:41 PM, dyxshop said:

????????

What are you puzzled by????  A nice machine that arrived in perfect condition, too many boxes???

• 9 months later...

Bruce,

This is great, and having these clear instructions available to collectors is a genuine service.  Thanks!

George P.

3 hours ago, RodPickett said:

Buyers are welcome to send the following reference-link to sellers for a helpful guide to packing large machines for shipment:

https://antiquephono.net/pack-ship-large-machine

Rod the link you made looks great!  Thanks a lot  Widely sharing this could easily save quite a number of 100+  year old treasures.  Thanks a lot!