Edison 250 models

MikeSherman

MikeSherman

I acquired this early A-250 several years ago from Ron Dethlefson and thought I'd share a few photos.  It is an early one - serial number SM-161.

1.jpg

2.JPG

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

• Like 2

CrackedWormgear

That is without a doubt one of the most beautiful A250’s I’ve ever scene. Almost as if it was transported from an Edison dealer circa 1912-13.

I was fortunate to meet Ron Dethlefson at a Union show in the the mid nineties. A true gentleman. I had several of his Edison books by then and was thrilled to meet one of my phono heroes in person.

Mike, that A-250 is a pristine example - - and about as early as they come!  What a cherry.  Thanks for posting it!

I thought I'd add examples of a B-250 and a C-250, so I took a few quick photos using only the ambient light in my rumpus room.  These photos won't win any prizes, but hopefully they'll do.

Here's a B-250 I bought in February 1977.  I have a picture around here someplace of me posing with this machine the day I bought it.  The B-250 hasn't changed since then...

B250a.thumb.JPG.b29c80ae1aa25fcfa39477c6375dc231.JPG

I really like the A-series Edison Disc Phonographs for 1) the cabinet quality, 2) the maroon/brown motor plates, 3) the grained metal horns, and 3) the odd variations that show up in the A-series.  Well, this B-250 has #1 and #2, so I must be satisfied with that.

B250b.thumb.JPG.9f4ff69a2ab5ede3a08a0b26299490ce.JPG

The C-250 was the flagship of Edison's Disc Phonograph line, and it sold very well in its day.  It's commonly found in collections today, and it's tough to beat for performance and record storage. 

C250a.thumb.JPG.1d4c7f2fc3091285034ac2c119741a76.JPG

This C-250 is unusual in that it retains the pinstriping on its motor plate (early production), and is factory equipped with an Edison Automatic Stop (commonly called a "Duncan Stop" by collectors).  This one also features a Long Play Attachment (added after 1926) with a gold LP reproducer and an original bolt-on holder for it.

C250b.thumb.JPG.55db81e3be3a9219807f6ef122aa5700.JPG

C250c.thumb.JPG.8a8630458f2a5451a5b705b484da37f7.JPG

I guess that completes the A/B/C-250 lineup, but I'll bet there are other interesting examples out there we'd all enjoy seeing.

George P.

• Like 1

Neilvanstem

Oh so nice these machines all. Mike and George just wonderful to see this. Thanks for showing us these machines. Really enjoy looking at what I don't have!!

I'm a big fan of the Diamond Disc and Amberola machines, especially the early ones.  Beautiful machines, all of them Mike, George.  I'll post some pictures of some of mine when I get time.

MikeSherman

Correct, there is no volume control.  Not sure what you mean by concave dividers, but they are thin wooden dividers measuring 12" X 4".  I think you can put 36 records in each drawer.

Here’s what I meant about concave dividers Mike.You can see that unlike the top drawer in which the dividers are perfectly rectangular,  in the bottom drawer of this A-250 the top edge is concave to make it a little easier to remove the records.

2455D395-F6DC-4F32-9A6C-4F65C5CD9720.jpeg

AF502D62-05B1-46EC-AEE6-86499E6ABD86.jpeg

Edited by Valecnik
corrected misstatement

Valecnik, 

You pictures did not show up for me, but I think I have a better idea what you are asking.  

I am attaching a photo of the drawers, and the lower drawers are more "cut away" than the upper ones.

I'm also attaching a picture of the card found in the drawers as well as the instructions which were in the

rear of the machine.

Hope this helps.

IMG_3501.jpg

IMG_3502.jpg

IMG_3503.jpg

PatheLogical
On 8/10/2020 at 3:29 AM, Valecnik said:

Here’s what I meant about concave dividers Mike.You can see that unlike the top drawer in which the dividers are perfectly rectangular,  in the bottom drawer of this A-250 the top edge is concave to make it a little easier to remove the records.

2455D395-F6DC-4F32-9A6C-4F65C5CD9720.jpeg

AF502D62-05B1-46EC-AEE6-86499E6ABD86.jpeg

Bruce, your two pictures (which I was able to view earlier without clicking anything) have disappeared and been replaced by two clickable links that don't work!?!?!

Bob

1 hour ago, PatheLogical said:

Bruce, your two pictures (which I was able to view earlier without clicking anything) have disappeared and been replaced by two clickable links that don't work!?!?!

Bob

actually all of the photos (except the most recent three posted by Mike) seem not to be viewable.  Could be the site is undergoing maintenance.  I'll report it.  Thanks Bob!

That's just another thing I like about the A-series Disc Phonographs - - so much variation.  Even the record dividers!

George P.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, phonogfp said:

That's just another thing I like about the A-series Disc Phonographs - - so much variation.  Even the record dividers!

George P.

Exactly George.  From late 1921 to December 1914 there are at least four variations I can think of and that's in less than two years.  

30 minutes ago, Valecnik said:

Exactly George.  From late 1921 to December 1914 there are at least four variations I can think of and that's in less than two years.  

Or seven in Merlin years... ?

• Like 1

OK – with restored pictures, I see what you're talking about now.  My dividers are not concave.  Interesting variation though.

What is the serial number of your A-250?

16 hours ago, MikeSherman said:

OK – with restored pictures, I see what you're talking about now.  My dividers are not concave.  Interesting variation though.

What is the serial number of your A-250?

First we have no. 2503, (A-300).  Bottom drawer fits only 12" records.  10" fall through and you can't close the drawer.  You also cannot retrieve the 10" record because it falls deeper than the level of the divider slat.

A300-5.jpg

Edited by Valecnik
pics in wrong order

Next is 2503 with concave dividers in bottom drawer.

0002.jpg

Edited by Valecnik
Can't reorder the pics

Then another picture of 4165, closeup posted previously above, also with concave dividers. 12" records will not fit in the bottom drawer.

0003.jpg

And finally 12887 with each drawer divided into 5 compartments.  The others have space for about 72 records.  This one has space for 100 records.

0004.JPG

AmberolaAndy

Some nice ones here. I just have a plain ol C-19. Which counts as a 250 machine.

Edited by AmberolaAndy