Lyman Howe....

KinetoGuy

Lyman Howe...after his shows with a replica mining operation, and Class M phonograph (always loved the cabinet card photo of him posing with his phonograph), he took up moving pictures...even making his own projector he called the Animotoscope....

IMG_1574.jpeg

IMG_1575.jpeg

IMG_1576.jpeg

IMG_1586.jpeg

IMG_1587.jpeg

IMG_1588.jpeg

IMG_1589.jpeg

Howe001.thumb.jpg.2ca5158e0c908b6b10caae362147b034.jpgMany years ago, I happened across this Programme of a Lyman Howe phonograph exhibition.  It is hand-dated in pencil on the back "Nov. 1894."   (Although pinkish in the scan, in real life it is more buff-colored; typical of old paper.)

For those unfamiliar with Howe and the genre of phonograph/moving picture exhibitions, there's a good book on the subject, copyrighted in 1991:

George P.

Howe002.thumb.jpg.7cf4e1145202082a58acf7e8991d4ecf.jpg

• Like 1

Wow..the program is awesome...I have not yet come across anything with Lyman Howe and his phonograph shows.

The book is excellent...informative and interesting...

George, did you at one time say you know someone who has a cabinet card of Lyman Howe with his Class M?

Neilvanstem

All this is fascinating. Years ago I bought three volumes that are concerned with early moving pictures and though often technical they were extremely interesting. I show you here the three volumes. The first volume I think may have more to do with what is mentioned above. Neil

100_3510.JPG

100_3511.JPG

100_3512.JPG

100_3513.JPG

5 hours ago, KinetoGuy said:

George, did you at one time say you know someone who has a cabinet card of Lyman Howe with his Class M?

Yes, I tried and tried to purchase that cabinet photo from its owner back in the 90s, but he told me I'd have "the first shot at it."  Even after I kept gently reminding him every year or so, you know what happened.  The owner told me who bought it, and there's virtually no chance it will be back on the market anytime soon.  Ah well...

KinetoGuy, I sent you a PM this morning.

George P.

An excellent set of books  Neil..

And Charles Musser is a great guy...he used to teach at NYU and then went to Yale....

Ouch on the Lyman Howe cabinet card....I had a similar incident many years ago..ran into a radio guy in an antique shop who told me about some cylinder records he bought at a train store.....I went to his house....two pristine American Bettini cylinder records...I played it cool, didn't pressure him, he wanted to think about a price...a week or two later he told me he sold them to Peter Dilg who he spoke with after me....grrrrrr......

Time to cook dinner.....I will respond to your PM later tonight or tomorrow....thank you...

A few more Lyman Howe items...he was quite the showman...

One of these  days I will have to make a trip to Willkes Barre PA...

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...