European Columbia type B

Dan

I bought this from someone in England it looks like a Columbia eagle except for the base. There is a 5 digit number on the base plate , it os on the opposite side of the governor. Any info would be greatly appreciated? It came with a slide in wood  case , the case looks homemade???

see pictures 

Thanks Dan

ps- I posted this in the acoustic machine forum and was told try this forum .

IMG_5002.jpeg

IMG_5006.jpeg

IMG_5007.jpeg

IMG_5010.jpeg

IMG_5009.jpeg

IMG_5008.jpeg

IMG_5005.jpeg

IMG_5004.jpeg

There were several Type B knock offs made in France or Germany - this is probably one of those.  The case is interesting/unusual...  What do you plan to do with it?

I’m going to clean and repair the case , clean up and get the machine working. It’s pretty complete need a reproducer ( what type?)and cover for belt if it had one. I need to do more research on the machine before I start looking for parts . Maybe after a cleaning I’ll see more markings beside the serial #

Dan

Thanks for the pictures , that looks just like it , are the reproducer and horn , parts that are available or impossible to find. Thanks for the help.
Dan

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2024 at 7:38 PM, Dan said:

Thanks for the pictures , that looks just like it , are the reproducer and horn , parts that are available or impossible to find. Thanks for the help.
Dan

This machine turned out to be a Pathe Aiglon

Thanks all 

4 hours ago, CurtA said:

Are you interested in selling it, as is?

curt(dot)angstman(at)gmail(dot)com

Not right now I’m pretty sure I have found the parts to complete it . Thanks

Dan

Dan,

What differentiates this as a Pathe, versus a Styx? The Styx example shown appears identical to yours.

I reached out to Julien Anton a collector in France he sent me the following:
Good morning Dan,

As I told you in my previous message, your phonograph is not a Styx, but a Pathé, it is the Aiglon model. 
To convince yourself, you can consult my originals catalogs on my site (you can enlarge the pages).
You will see the mechanism of your phonograph on this page of the Pathé catalog for the English market dated 1903 :
https://www.phonorama.fr/kp57.html
In the first pages, we see the mechanism. The base has rounded edges, the plate was stamped, which gives it this particular shape. 
This model was sold without a wooden case, buyers were able to build their own custom box, like that of your phonograph. 
Styx phonographs looks like the Pathé, they bear the Styx brand in an oval:

The base does not have rounded edges like on the Aiglon, the plate was cut with right-angled edges. 
You will see Styx phonographs in this catalog: 
https://www.phonorama.fr/kf04.html

The Pathé Aiglon is a fairly common phonograph, easy to find in France or Great Britain. 
The reproducer and the horn that would be needed for L'aiglon are listed at the end of the Pathé catalog. 

Julien is correct.  The standard model is not a Styx in the photo I posted (we can all learn), however the concert is.  Good luck in your search for parts.  Take care.