VV-50 back to life

I realize that a VV-50 is nothing to crow about but I got this one for $50 after watching it sit in an antique shop for over 2 years. I already have one in Oak that belonged to my wife's great grandparents so one in mahogany was a natural choice (besides, I needed something to keep me busy). Very early production as the serial number is 9815 with a 1921 dated patent sticker under the platter. It has some minor case damage and a small water staining on the left side and I debated a long time about completely stripping it back, sanding out the damage and refinishing but I opted to hit it with my trio of favorite Howard's products and I will just leave it as cleaned. Motor was cleaned, spring pulled and cleaned and all metal polished. My intent is to show it to people who want to get into the hobby as what is possible with a little know how, patience, and buying at a good price. Before and after pix are offered although they don't do it justice.

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

CrackedWormgear

I think the VV-50 is great combination of size and practical virtues. And your plans on demonstrating the possibilities to others GREAT ?

I also have two. There kinda like potato chips. Can’t just have one!

33 minutes ago, CrackedWormgear said:

I also have two. There kinda like potato chips. Can’t just have one!

Do these ever show up without needle digs in the underside of the lid when someone shut the lid on the needle. On that note, the sticker placed on the machine by the dealer said "may need a new needle". The thing in the chuck was not so much a needle as a dull nail.

CrackedWormgear

Yes both of mine also have the same needle digs. My oak one also spent some picnic time at the beach, since there was some leftover sand in the motor compartment when I first opened it up. Same issue with my VV-35.

I have always like the VV 50s . They are one of the better portables made by Victor. You are right about having more than one .    That was a nice restoration job on your phonograph  Tom

Edited by tomb
addition

8 hours ago, tomb said:

I have always like the VV 50s . They are one of the better portables made by Victor. You are right about having more than one .    That was a nice restoration job on your phonograph  Tom

I prefer to think of it as refurbishment. Means I can get away with being a little lazy. ?

Neilvanstem

I never saw a mahogany VV 50 but oh so nice. A good job making it right you did! I usually don't time myself when cleaning up machines but my Oak 50 took me 13 hours to clean up and take off flowery decals. Despite needing new parts and the decals I still paid a higher price for it I think but ended up with lots of fun. You can still see where the decal was on top but much improved and shiny now too with new felt. What I love is the handle. Oh so many with other brands and styles with worn or broke handles so nice to see one that is so sturdy.