2021 APS Midwest Show

Valecnik

Yes, I would also like to see an update when possible.  I've gone to Union for decades and watched it wither away to the last two dismal shows.  Of course 2020 Union was canceled due to the virus and supposedly postponed until next summer.  Another Union without promotion promises to be a bust and I doubt that I'll be driving thousands of miles to attend.  I'm hoping for a Midwest APS Expo that is worth supporting.  Oregonian

Edited by Oregonian
spelling
  • Like 1

Auxetophone

I think many people are in agreement on next year’s rescheduled “last ever” Union show. They should have just refunded the vendor fees and bowed out gracefully. It’s time to move on to the next chapter!

• Like 1

There was going to be a first time show in NE Ohio the week before Union this year but it got cancelled too. 35 years and I have never been able to make it to a show for one reason or another.

3 hours ago, Auxetophone said:

I think many people are in agreement on next year’s rescheduled “last ever” Union show. They should have just refunded the vendor fees and bowed out gracefully. It’s time to move on to the next chapter!

Agree completely.  It's time to let an organization  that has continued interest in sustaining the hobby manage this.

Percy_Dovetonsils

I hate to be a Debbie Downer- but I think chances are 50/50 that next year's events might get Corona'd also. Let's hope that I am proven wrong, but it would be foolish to plan without considering this possibility.

The virus is mutating and becoming more infectious according to the data. All we can do is hope there's an effective and safe vaccine soon,  and that people don't negate its effectiveness with tinfoil hats.?

Stay safe and be well!

The Donley's Union show started in the seventies and was a good local show.  Over a short time it transformed to more than a local show with collectors from many states and even international collectors attending.  It was an outstanding international event for many years.  But things changed and, without promotion, Union became smaller.  Instead of two large rooms full of vendors and quite a few in the outside overflow space, it became two rooms, followed by one room with overflow in the second.  The Donleys focus shifted from the Wild West amusement park to their auction business.  The phonograph sale suffered and I wondered if it was more of a nuisance than a focal point on the Donley calendar.  I believe the only promotion for this years show was an ad in the APS quarterly saying this was the 45th and last year of Union.  The Donleys kept saying it was a go even when the nation was closing down due to the virus.  But with about a month to go they postponed saying "even though the vast majoring of vendors were planning to attend" (paraphrased), they were postponing until 2021 in the interest of public safety.  I think the "vast majority" would have been 25% to 40% of last years vendors.  The Donleys should have refunded booth space and gracefully ended the sale but they didn't.  

Yes, the phonograph collecting community owes a debt of thanks to Larry Donley for starting Union and to his sons, Randy and Mike, for making Union the focal point for collectors for decades.  It was nothing less than wonderful.  But Union is back to being a local show.   Let's honor the Donley family at a new Midwest APS Expo in 2021.  I will drive quite a distance to help get a new APS Expo off to a good start.  

Respectfully submitted, Oregonian

I too would like to see News about the Donley or an APS Mid-West Show next year.   I agree that it does need to be well advertised which probably can't be done until the Corona Virus Pandemic has an effective vaccine.   I look forward to hearing from the APS board about this event.   Thanks to the Donley Family for all the great years.   

Stan in Portland

After the Donleys announced that 2020 would be the final show at Union, a committee was formed and has been hard at work for many months on developing an APS Midwest Show for 2021.  This task was made more complex by the subsequent announcement from the Donleys that they would be holding a Union show in 2021.  The APS doesn't want to step on anyone else's toes, but much discussion/activity has been underway for 2021.  The committee has yet to submit a "final" report, but progress has been made.  Rest assured that when there is something more tangible to report, it will be reported here first!

George P.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If both shows are to take place next year, I will certainly attend/exhibit the APS event in lieu of Union.  

Raphael

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Raphael said:

If both shows are to take place next year, I will certainly attend/exhibit the APS event in lieu of Union.  

Raphael

I too.

• Like 1

This may sound odd but have we considered completely virtual shows and then shipping items? At my school we had to do completely online teaching last school year ( and at least some of this year so far ) and we did almost all of our classes via Microsoft teams . That would let people see the items and interact with each other without traveling and risking exposure. 

Even before COVID hit we were becoming more and more of a virtual society but I think this will speed up the process.  People are discovering the advantages of the virtual world for more and more things.

Just a thought.

Your idea of virtual shows is already part of the "APS2020" initiative that members will be reading about next month in their magazines.  But not exclusively virtual; rather "hybrid" shows that will conserve the old-school shows we know, along with a virtual component that will allow non-attendees to participate and purchase items - - even after the conventional show closes.  But I don't want to play the spoiler here...  Watch for your September 2020 issue!

George P.

• Like 1

Interesting, that is what schools are doing in some places. Students are both virtual and can come to a physical building on occasions. It seems more and more we simply do not need to physically  be in direct proximity to actually interact with objects and people more and more. Think about it this way. People can use certain types of submersible submarines to interact with the wreck of the Titanic without directly being at the wreck site.  Maybe someday technology will eventually allow us to smell, touch and taste things through the internet therefore removing the need to directly go to most places.

Edited by Krkey1

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, great news, and hopefully the COVID pandemic will be past history by then.  If not, we will all have bigger things to worry about. 

Raphael

It has just come to the attention of the APS that there has been some confusion regarding what will happen in June 2021.  There will be only ONE show, and that will be the new APS show near O'Hare in Chicago.  The APS very much appreciates the Donley family supporting this new show.

If anyone has further questions, feel free to send them to the APS "Contact Us" page here:

Contact Us

...Or ask here on the APS Forum!

George P.