New to me, a VTLA XX

phono-phan

phono-phan

I was fortunate to be able to bring home a VTLA XX. I am amazed at the condition it is in and that it has all the correct record albums. I have been trying to search for when Victor came out with the bamboo needles. This XX has the triangular hole exhibition reproducer. I believe this model was only made for less than one year in 1909. It is using the Victor VI motor board and tone arm. I would think that it should have a round hole exhibition reproducer.

IMG_3018.jpg

IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

• Like 5

Tinfoilphono

Wow. What an unbelievably gorgeous machine, in amazing original condition. I've never seen a VTLA XX. It's a major grail. Congratulations!!

• Like 1

CurtA

Ken, that is a fantastic machine at a bargain price...

phono-phan

Thanks for all the comments.  I never thought I would have one in the collection. 

phonogfp

Keep in mind that once Victor offered fiber needles, it also offered needle bars with a triangular hole to be retro-fit into earlier sound boxes.

George P. 

• Like 2

phono-phan

George, Thanks for your post.  I believe this model was offered in 1909.  I was trying to search for when Victor first offered the bamboo needles and needle bar.  I would think that this XX originally came with a round hole Exhibition. 

• Like 1

phonogfp
9 hours ago, phono-phan said:

George, Thanks for your post.  I believe this model was offered in 1909.  I was trying to search for when Victor first offered the bamboo needles and needle bar.  I would think that this XX originally came with a round hole Exhibition. 

Ken, I understand.  The XX was in fact introduced March 1, 1908 - undoubtedly with a round-hole needle bar.  However, after Victor began offering fiber needles in 1909, triangular-holed needle bars were offered to retro-fit, so it's not necessarily inappropriate for the XX.  See page 61 of Baumbach's Victor Data Book.

George P.

• Like 1

phono-phan

Thanks for the information.  I should have checked for that in the Data Book.  I tried using the search function on here but had some operator error issues.  Hope to see you at the Midwest Show!!

• Like 1