New Hobbyist - Questions about machine and playing

Koraxtheghoul

Koraxtheghoul

Heigh-ho everybody!

I'm a radio dj and old-timey record enthusiast that just bought my first wax cylinder machine. I know very little about the machines themselves but a good deal about some of the songs and performers.  

I believe my machine is a 1905 Edison Standard. The trademark/patent thing next to the serial number ends at 1905. I've bought a couple of Vulkan cylinders for playing. Would like to get a recording horn and recorder eventually and make some   Does not currently have a horn and am looking to get one those from eBay or a Victrola shop.

Some questions I have about it.

A. I have the serial number 419460, is this a 1905 model?

B. Should I buy a ton of needles? I mostly want to play with modern wax cylinders and recording then playing those (mainly because I'm am afraid of being able to keep old ones and would much prefer to send those off for archiving).

C. What are simple mistakes that I do not want to make? Anything I should know about maintenance? 

Edited by Koraxtheghoul

Welcome to your new obsession...  Now that you have a first cylinder player, the next step is a disc machine...

B. Should I buy a ton of needles? I mostly want to play with modern wax cylinders and recording then playing those (mainly because I'm am afraid of being able to keep old ones and would much prefer to send those off for archiving).

Steel needles are used to play 78rpm shellac disc records.

Answer: Your machine does not use "needles" - it has a permanent "stylus" for playing 2 minute black wax cylinders or (if equipped with a 2/4 minute conversion) it can play 4 minute Blue Amberol celluloid cylinders.  You need to post pictures of your machine, especially close ups of the front, left top of the upper works to tell if it is a 2/4 minute machine or just a 2 minute only machine.  You should have a round reproducer marked "C" to play two minute cylinders and/or one marked "H" to play four minute cylinders.  Don't be afraid to play original cylinders, many are available reasonably and as long as they are played with the correct reproducer, should last a long time.  A 2 min cylinder will not be marked 2 min by the title on the end, but a 4 min will be marked 4m.  Black cylinders are normally 2min, blue cylinders are always 4min and there are some black cylinders that are 4min.  There are a lot more specific details that you can learn on this website.

Koraxtheghoul
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, CurtA said:

Welcome to your new obsession...  Now that you have a first cylinder player, the next step is a disc machine...

Steel needles are used to play 78rpm shellac disc records.

Answer: Your machine does not use "needles" - it has a permanent "stylus" for playing 2 minute black wax cylinders or (if equipped with a 2/4 minute conversion) it can play 4 minute Blue Amberol celluloid cylinders.  You need to post pictures of your machine, especially close ups of the front, left top of the upper works to tell if it is a 2/4 minute machine or just a 2 minute only machine.  You should have a round reproducer marked "C" to play two minute cylinders and/or one marked "H" to play four minute cylinders.  Don't be afraid to play original cylinders, many are available reasonably and as long as they are played with the correct reproducer, should last a long time.  A 2 min cylinder will not be marked 2 min by the title on the end, but a 4 min will be marked 4m.  Black cylinders are normally 2min, blue cylinders are always 4min and there are some black cylinders that are 4min.  There are a lot more specific details that you can learn on this website.

Thanks for the welcome and answer. Almost certain it's a 2 minute one but the reproducer did not have a discernable letter from what I can tell. The machine was demonstrated as running on eBay and I have no reason to doubt it.20240427_192611.thumb.jpg.fc984fc3ea5c346b99742e1e7a2c2fb8.jpg

20240427_192456.jpg

20240427_192538.jpg

20240427_192622.jpg

20240427_192436.jpg

Edited by Koraxtheghoul

You're correct, it appears to be 2min only.  So, you can play 2min black wax or 2min celluloid "indestructible" period cylinders.  Black wax are more delicate and can be broken easily by dropping them or pushing them onto the mandrel too hard.  They are tapered inside, so only go on in one direction.  The Indestructible cylinders typically cost more, but are more durable.  They have a celluloid surface and a metal ring inside for support - use them if you don't want to worry about breakage.  They come in 2 and 4min versions - the latter are stamped 4M near the title.  Another good source is Vulcan ( https://www.vulcanrecords.com ) and Phono Works Germany ( https://www.phonoworks.com ) who both make excellent unbreakable new cylinders with period titles in 2 min format.   There are several other independent cylinder makers who make resin duplicate cylinders.  Hope this helps.

phonogfp

Welcome to the madness.

The Antique Phonograph Society has a number of free articles under the "Introductory Articles" tab (note this Table of Contents is 2 pages):

https://www.antiquephono.org/#/collection/1

The article titled, "Basic Antique Phonograph Operating Tips" will be especially useful to you, as it covers a wide range of topics, and will probably answer questions you didn't know you had.

According to original Edison sales data, Standard #419460 left the factory in February 1907.

A detailed illustrated article on all models (A - G) of the Edison Standard Phonograph appeared in the December 2023 issue of the APS magazine.  A concise guide to Edison Standards is in the Table of Contents linked above.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, and have fun!

George P.

Koraxtheghoul

Thank you so much. Appears to be a standard B then from the last year before the 5 minutes came out.  I'm going to call a shop about the horn tomorrow and might ask about the recorder I'd need as well. Some of the listings on eBay are seriously overpriced (more expensive than my machine!).

phonogfp

Yes, it's a Standard Model B. 

4-minute cylinder records were introduced in October 1908.

Depending on what type of horn you're looking for, you would probably have good luck at an upcoming show.  There's an APS EXPO outside of Chicago in June; another outside of Los Angeles in August.  There's a show in Wayne N.J. in October.  Depending on where you live, there may be a collector living nearby who has something available.

EBay can be occasionally helpful, but as you noted, prices are often exorbitant.  There are specialized parts suppliers who offer anything you'd need for a Standard Model B, there two in particular:

George Vollema: http://www.victroladoctor.com/

Brian Parlier
The Phonograph Shop
https://www.facebook.com/ThePhonographShop/

www.thephonographshop.com

brian@thephonographshop.com

(C) 704.995.9142
(H) 704.644.8606

There are many others too.  When looking for something in particular, just post it here in the "Wanted" category.

George P.