Correct name for sound / tone arm ?

xtal_01

xtal_01

Hey!

Well I am almost done with my first Victrola.

Just need to replace a few temporary repairs I made to the motor (like replacing the nail I used with the correct pin) and I can put it in the living room.

Question, what is the correct term for the small arm that the reproducer connects to  ... just before the large "tone" arm ?

I wanted to put up a post and also ask a few vendors if they have one that is in good shape but didn't know the correct name for it.

Mine had some black material eat into it just after the reproducer.  It ate right through the gold finish and even a bit into the copper.

As the unit turned out so well, I figure I would ask around and see if anyone had one that was in good shape (also still looking for the correct motor board screws and maybe a lock since mine will not open or close with the "V" key I have ... or maybe it is the key, something else to look into).  I wanted to know the correct name of the part to ask for.

Thanks ... Mike

IMG_2594.JPEG

IMG_2595.JPEG

IMG_2596.JPEG

IMG_2597.JPEG

phonogfp

"Goose neck"  Victor often referred to the tone arm as the "taper tube," but collectors almost always call it a tone arm. 

Good for you wanting to educate yourself with correct terminology!

George P.

• Like 1