Planned Outage - Sunday 5 May - 2A - 4A, EDT - Platform Upgrade ×

Why do I need to change the needle for every play?

xtal_01

xtal_01

Remember, you are talking to a guy who is dumb as dirt when I comes to gramophones ... this is my first one ... and for that matter, the first one I have ever seen in person.

I bought 400 needles because I was told to change the needle every time I play a record ... buy why?

Does the plastic  (or what ever material these records are made of) really wear out the needle?

What happens if you don't change the needle .. will it kill the records?

Thanks!

You change every time in order to preserve your records, and in the meanwhile, enjoy undistorted sound.

The records are made of shellac with an abrasive added to the mix. Why the abrasive? It grinds down the needle tip slightly in order to "adjust" its shape to better fit the record groove. The problem is, the record does not know when to stop wearing down the needle. Soon, like after 1 play, the needle tip becomes too distorted to accurately track the groove and begins to wear upon the groove itself. Have you ever noticed how "muddy" the music sounds if you use the needle too long? It's because it no longer fits closely enough in the groove to accurately track it. 

Edited by Jerry
  • Like 1

Clever people have discovered that turning the needle 90 degrees will improve the quality of sound once the needle has worn too far. Resist the urge to rotate the needle! Yes, it will improve the sound quality a bit, but it will also destroy records. DON'T BE A NEEDLE TURNER! 😉

• Like 1

AND... in a pinch, resist the temptation to use old nails or drywall screws - think of all the old overplayed, worn out blues records on Paramount, etc.

• Like 2

xtal_01

You guys are awesome !!!!!!!!!!

Even my wife (who asked me the same question when I ordered 400 needles) was impressed with the drawings and pictures ... great explanation!

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!

Mike