Planned Outage - Sunday 5 May - 2A - 4A, EDT - Platform Upgrade ×

Machine on TV

Chrisingramci

Chrisingramci

Paramount Plus is airing a series called, “A Gentleman in Moscow.” Would anyone care to take a stab at identifying the machine in this scene? My initial inclination is Frankenphone, but I’m still a newbie…

AFCBDB30-3A27-4BE8-9CAC-595B1A2582E8.jpeg

Edited by Chrisingramci

Tinfoilphono

It's a so-called 'crapophone.' Made in India or China in very recent years. These are unfortunately common in TV and movies set in the past.

• Like 2

It does look like a crapophone, but I’ve never seen one in a case like that.

• Like 1

Oceanlinerfanatic191

It is a crapophone. You can tell by the strangely positioned and unusually small horn. I have never seen a blue crapophone horn before.

Isn't it strange that in the age of utilizing period accurate costumes and settings, there is nobody on the set or advising that can get a real or "time appropriate" phonograph?  A simple google search of the "year" and the type of phonograph in use should bring up a plethora of advertisements.  You don't have to be a phonograph expert to get the right prop for the scene, LOL.

I have seen reproduction phonographs quite a bit in an otherwise very accurate period drama or TV show.  Odd....  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Granby said:

Isn't it strange that in the age of utilizing period accurate costumes and settings, there is nobody on the set or advising that can get a real or "time appropriate" phonograph?  A simple google search of the "year" and the type of phonograph in use should bring up a plethora of advertisements.  You don't have to be a phonograph expert to get the right prop for the scene, LOL.

I have seen reproduction phonographs quite a bit in an otherwise very accurate period drama or TV show.  Odd....  

In watching Boardwalk Empire some time back, I was amazed at how accurate their props were. Cars, phones, phonographs, etc.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 11:40 PM, BenL said:

It does look like a crapophone, but I’ve never seen one in a case like that.

The "Tomas de Alba Edison" ID plate written in Urdu gives it away...

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2024 at 9:24 AM, Jerry said:

In watching Boardwalk Empire some time back, I was amazed at how accurate their props were. Cars, phones, phonographs, etc.

Agreed!  It has been a few years, but something makes me think one of the characters purchased a floor model Victrola for his girlfriend circa 1921 or 1922 and she exclaimed, a VV-80, how wonderful!  I was impressed!  I don't know the exact Victrola model years but thought that was pretty darn close!  LOL

• Like 1