Horn with Hand-Painted Ribbon (?) and Flowers

PatheLogical

PatheLogical

I found this cylinder machine horn (manufactured by the Standard Metal Manufacturing Company of Newark, NJ.) in an antiques shop yesterday.   Now I'm not really a novice when it comes to owning horns decorated with hand-painted flowers (see my user Cover Photo by clicking on my avatar), but this one threw me initially.   At first glance I thought some well-intentioned, previous owner had "improved" (read "ruined") the horn by adding the light-blue ribbon decoration.    But then I looked at the position of the flowers around the ribbon on the four lower panels, and realized the whole thing is completely original.   I don't think I've ever seen a horn with hand-painted flowers with painted ribbon decoration --- have you?

I still have so much to learn...

Bob

DSCN2762.JPG

DSCN2764.JPG

DSCN2769.JPG

Edited by PatheLogical
  • Like 1

PatheLogical

Speaking of having so much to learn --- how do I edit out all of the duplicate pictures???

Help!!!

PatheLogical
22 minutes ago, melvind said:

You can click on an image and then use the Delete key to remove the images.

Thanks Dan,

I had tried this (prior to posting and after, numerous  times), but this didn't work in edit mode.   Neither did highlighting an image and then right clicking bringing up a menu and clicking on "delete".   Normally, when in edit mode, I see a "garbage can"/delete icon in the top-right corner of each uploaded image, but this didn't appear during the first ten or so edit attempts.   Miraculously, that garbage can image eventually appeared on each image in the uploaded image area, and I was able to just click the garbage can and thus delete.   Perhaps Brandon can look into this...

Thanks again,

Bob

Wow Bob - - that's interesting!  Standard did lots of interesting stuff with horns, but I don't recall seeing a decorative ribbon painted in a horn before.  Such nice condition too...  Congratulations!

George P.

• Thanks 1

PatheLogical
1 hour ago, Mainspring said:

I think the ribbon is a bit twee but it is an eye catching horn.

David

Hi David,

Thanks for commenting, but what is "twee" (I don't understand?)???

Thank,

Bob

That is a really twee nice horn.  First one that  I have seen with a ribbon.  Maybe someone worked there or custom ordered it  that way and wanted a slight modification.   Tom

17 hours ago, PatheLogical said:

Hi David,

Thanks for commenting, but what is "twee" (I don't understand?)???

Thank,

Bob

Bob, twee basically means affectedly sentimental, sweet, or pretty. Not an insult, merely an aesthetic assessment.

David

PatheLogical

David and Tom,

Earlier, I admitted to having so much to learn regarding all things phonographic --- now I must confess I also have a long way to go regarding the English language.   I honestly thought "twee", when used in David's post, was merely a typographical error I couldn't decipher!   On top of learning a new word, I have now also learned (too late): "When in doubt, just Google it"! ?

Thanks for the education,

Bob

Neilvanstem

Now this is nice. I thought myself lucky to finally find a flowery horn now I see that there is something better! Very nice indeed. Neil

There is actually an example of this horn in the Fabrizio Paul Book, Antique Phonograph Accessories and Contraptions, on page 49.  The horn shown is green and the description mentions it is "unmarked with unusual white roses and ribbon decoration."    Thanks to Bob for confirming the manufacturer as the Standard Metal Manufacturing Company.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PatheLogical

Thanks for pointing out that example of another horn with ribbon and flower decoration Scott!   The ribbon is very similar in color and style, while the flowers are completely different.   I have the book, but I forgot all about that picture.

Thanks again,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot all about that picture too!

I suspect that (considering there's about 3750 images in the 8 different books) this lapse in memory will be happening with more and more frequency!

I should point out that the unmarked horn in Accessories & Contraptions bears no indication of having been made by the Standard Metal Manufacturing Company. 

George P.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bob, here's one I have in my collection. Different color, very dark green but the same type ribbon. I agree with you that the ribbon looks like a after thought. But when you look at the painting the ribbon was applied first, than the leaves and stems over it.

Like most collectors I like the flowered horns, as long as I don't have two the same.

Larry Crandell

P1170709.JPG

P1170704.JPG

P1170699.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PatheLogical

Hi Larry,

Thanks for posting pictures of your dark-green horn with ribbon and flower decoration --- it's really great to see another so similar to mine, and yet different.   I love the burst of whitish paint down inside yours!   The ribbon in yours is covered with stems and leaves much more than mine, and this makes it really evident the ribbon was there before the stems and leaves were painted.   My example of this horn is actually much more of a deep, rich, oxblood red than my pictures indicate.   It's interesting yours is also a very dark color!

Thanks again,

Bob