Planned Outage - Sunday 5 May - 2A - 4A, EDT - Platform Upgrade ×

Newbie to rebuild... need advice.

Mwalker

I recently bought my first talking machine, a Steger 504.  I only played it once before I bought it.  I have new needles, cleaned all my records, etc., but I  plan to polish it up and rebuild the motor before I enjoy the tunes.

The sound box appears to be in good shape, and sounded great on that first spin.  I have NevrDull for the tone arm and other shiny parts.

Once I opened it up, I found the motor covered in grease.  Just getting ready to take it apart and clean.  I have Super Lube and sewing machine oil for reassembly, but I don't know which parts need which lubricant.  It currently has black grease everywhere. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Also, the machine came with a couple of S-shaped needles, as well as straight ones.  Anyone have info on the S needles?  I've only seen straight ones for sell.  I bought soft and mid-tone.

20240206_200056.jpg

20240206_200155.jpg

20240217_160942.jpg

20240217_150847.jpg

20240217_150906.jpg

• Like 1

That's a great-looking Steger - congratulations!

It sounds as though you've done a good job of educating yourself - congratulations on that as well! 

The S-shaped needles are likely later, and meant to be used on later 78s, multiple-play applications (jukeboxes), and electrical amplification.  Stick with the straight models.

Scrape off the black grease which is on the spring barrels.  If you want your motor to look pretty, you can disassemble it and painstakingly clean each shaft and gear with carb cleaner and 0000 steel wool.  I don't do that unless the motor is visible, but if you want everything shiny, it's not that difficult.  Just take a series of pictures from multiple angles BEFORE disassembly.

Use the SuperLube on heavy gears, sewing machine oil on lighter gears and all bearings, governor pads, and where the governor collar slides on the governor shaft. 

The mainsprings may chug in their barrels; this is typical for an unserviced motor.  Here's where you'll need to make a judgement call.  If the chugging is minor, it may well go away on its own with use as the separated oil and grease are re-mixed.  If the chugging is pretty noticeable, you may want to remove the spring barrel assembly and separate them, then squirt a bit of your sewing machine oil in each mainspring.  I've often had good luck using WD-40 for this job, as it will thin the grease.  If the chugging shakes the floor, pull the mainsprings out of their barrels (carefully noting the direction in which each mainspring is installed), clean them, re-grease, and reassemble.  Obviously, the latter procedure is the "right way" to do the job, but sometimes the first two options can last for decades.

Have fun bringing back that beautiful Steger!

George P>

Thank you so much.  That's great advice.  I have it all apart aside from one small gear I cant remove from the base, and the spring barrel assembly is still together.  Cleaning may take a while doing after work each night.  I will post a couple pics when I finish.  Thanks again. 

Oh... and yes, I took pics along the way. 

Edited by Mwalker

Steger & Sons was a leading Chicago piano manufactures at the turn of the 20th century. John Valentine Steger founded the company in 1879, and it was later renamed Steger & Sons in 1892. As the company grew, a small town developed around their factory, becoming Steger, Illinois. When the major phonograph patents started expiring, most of the major piano manufacturers introduced their own phonograph brands: Aeolian, Kimball, Starr, etc.

Steger & Sons introduced their first phonographs in 1917 and counited the brand till about 1923-1924. Sadly, no serial number records survive to narrow down an exact year.  What makes Steger machines interesting, is their counterweight incorporated into the tonearm. Depending on which type record you were playing, you could adjust the tracking weight. 

image.png.2f61a0d8be02867b947221df673fcbc5.png
Page from a period booklet.  

(https://archive.org/details/NAG69/page/n3/mode/2up?q="Steger+phonograph"+)

Edited by BenL
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for the info.  I didn't realize the counterweight was unique.  It is a spring mechanism inside the tone arm, with three settings on the outside.  And thank you for the article as well.  I will get that printed.   All I've been able to find is an old advertisement. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Mwalker

I finally got it cleaned and put back together.  I had to replace a couple of the governor springs which required some drilling and attaching weights with screws.  It's unfortunate, but seems to work.  First song played was My Blue Heaven by Gene Austin.  Compared it to Spotify and I need to make some adjustments to the speed control.  Other than that, it sounds great and my wife and I are looking forward to enjoying all our records. 

20240321_191338.jpg

• Like 1

Wow! You've done a tremendous job cleaning that up! maybe it just doesn't show up in the picture, but it appears that the gears are not greased. If that's true, you need to get some grease on the gears and a drop or two of oil on the governor friction felt.

Great job!

phonogfp

Jerry's advice is spot-on.  Grease on the heavy, slow-moving gears, good quality oil (30wt is good) on the intermediate gears, and good quality sewing machine oil (NO 3-in-1) on the governor shaft, felt pad, and ALL bearings.

Excellent job!

George P.

Mwalker

Thank you.  It is greased.  I used Superlube and sewing machine oil.  I do plan a second coat when I make the speed control adjustments.  Found it interesting that there aren't any bearings on this machine. 

phonogfp

By "bearings," I meant anywhere a shaft is supported.

George P.

Be cautious playing later electric 78s, as this machine was designed to play pre-1930 acoustically recorded.  (Remember, the later the record, the faster it'll wear.)