Mystery --- Brass Front-Mount Horn

PatheLogical

PatheLogical

In a rather dimly-lit resale shop, I came across this front-mount horn with elbow soldered in place.   The whole thing looks original and untouched to my eye.   The size is roughly 30" long, with a 16" diameter bell.  The seam of the tapered portion of the horn is on the reproducer side.   There is an air gap of about 1/16" between the outside and inside of the elbow where a reproducer would be inserted.   There is a seam along the outside curve of the elbow.

Does anyone know who manufactured this horn, and what machine(s) is this for?

Thanks for any and all comments,

Bob

20200710_122808.jpg

20200710_122637.jpg

20200710_122706.jpg

Edited by PatheLogical
  • Thanks 1

That's certainly an unusual elbow.  I can't shed any light on its origin, but I hope you bought it!

George P.

AudioAntique

Bob,

This may be a horn similar to the one on my Columbia AR.   Looks like it's a candidate for a Duffy project. :classic_smile:

Rob

949908570_BrassHorn-AR-LR.jpg.5ba832a95fafa29ef4f479e344d56d4a.jpg

Brass Horn-AR 2-LR.jpg

• Thanks 1

PatheLogical

Thanks for the reply with pics Rob and Joan!   After talking to you and confirming your horn's dimensions, it sounds like we have a match (other than the elbows being slightly different)!   I just talked to another collector we know, and he has the same horn and elbow as yours on his Columbia AY.

Yes, this would look wonderful after John works his polishing magic!

Bob

I'm glad you found a match, Bob!

I have a similar horn on an AH, but the elbow/horn are threaded, and I didn't see the "dimples" on the elbow in the shop pictures.

George P.

AH3.jpg

• Thanks 1

PatheLogical
On 7/12/2020 at 2:56 PM, phonogfp said:

That's certainly an unusual elbow.  I can't shed any light on its origin, but I hope you bought it!

George P.

Yes George, I bought the horn today (and I'm almost embarrassed to say they gave me a substantial discount ?).   I was able to put the horn on hold for a few days, which gave me time to ascertain it's  true identity --- thanks for everyone's help!  

In the dim light of the shop, I thought the reproducer end of the elbow looked like it was constructed with two thin metal tubes with an air gap in between where a rubber gasket would be inserted (which really didn't make sense to me).   Now that I see the whole thing in the light of day, it's evident what I initially thought was an inner ring is actually a very shrunken, hardened, desiccated, rubber gasket.   This end of the elbow does have several evenly spaced, small, triangular-shaped dimples which I believe are there to hold a fresh gasket in place.

Now to find a Columbia AR or AY to put this horn on,

Bob

Good lighting seems to become more and more helpful as I get older...

I used to carry a Mini-Mag, which came in handy many times, but now I just use the light on my cell phone!

George P.

I am on the hunt for a Columbia AH horn, however this is the XL horn version, and my bracket and travel arm are the normal size. I doubt anybody would have a loose Columbia AH XL bracket and travel arm, but if that is the case I would gladly upgrade.

Martin