First Nipper Search

M1917

Hello, all. First post here.  I’m not new to Victrolas but I am to Nippers.  My wife loves the dogs, I love the machines. We are a two machine family, but I’m going to try to bribe her.   I’m trying to find dealer paraphernalia and Nipper (or ten) for her.  My understanding is that most around are fakes.  Is there any chance someone can quietly point me to any collecting guides on finding original items?  Open to all advice…

Welcome. Nipper is a fun collectible and there are great books with info and price guides available. Joan and Robin Rolfs wrote 3 books on. Nipper. below is a link to their eBay page where you can purchase them. There is nothing better than the Rolfs books.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/nippernodder

• Like 1

For the Nipper collecting category, you really can't do better than the books by the Rolfs.  The knowledge gained can save you time, money, and aggravation.

Welcome!

George P.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The hunt can be tough.  Most of the Nippers that I have seen for sale on line are either very rough, poorly “restored”, or very expensive.  

The 11” paper mache Nippers seem to be the best bet for a decent original that won’t break the bank.  

Just like phonographs, you never know what you might find.  Phonograph shows and auctions will often have good examples at retail prices.

As with my phonographs, I have generally sought originals that need work.  It takes a lot of patience and some ingenuity, but the end result can very quite satisfying and is an economical way to acquire some nice examples.

Here are a few of mine.  The 14” on the Pooley VTLA was in very good original condition.  The others were in terrible shape.  The Glass-Eyed Nipper above the Victor D was all busted up and missing his ears and left foot and ankle.  I am currently working on another Glass-Eyed Nipper that is missing all four legs and both ears.  His body and head were a mess, but that has been addressed and he is coming along well.

Best of luck and please share your journey.

IMG_5947.jpeg

IMG_5958.jpeg

IMG_5946.jpeg

IMG_5945.jpeg

• Like 2