Tonearm Arm Problem for 1920s Electric Columbia Grafonola Period Model P-33

juliann

Hi all. First time owner of an antique Grafonola and I have a couple of questions. First, the machine is in perfect working order except when the tonearm is lowered onto a record. After it is lowered, the turntable slows and stops turning. I am playing old shellac 78s but I only know one is from 1918 and the others I would guess are a bit later than that (30s-40s). Could the tonearm issue be caused by playing records that are "too new" or could the needle be old? I will be replacing the needle soon, otherwise, could it be a motor issue?

The second question I have is which records should I be playing on my machine? It is electric from around 1920. Are there records from certain time periods I shouldn't be playing or can all shellac 78s be played on this machine?

Thanks!

IMG_3964.thumb.png.01058bfeb4e3506c8a4cd654cabdb0c0.png

IMG_3965.thumb.png.8a87e0bfa77ada17ada27bb5eab304e8.png

IMG_3993.thumb.png.b4bb875987723d52f29cc67baf4c0d63.png

IMG_3994.thumb.png.62e1b4edae84e6313eb387cbd4d741ab.png

Edited by RodPickett
Converted HEIC to PNG
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Percy_Dovetonsils said:

You need a fresh needle for each playing. 

This, plus a CLA (clean-lube-adjust) for the spring motor, best left to a professional shop if you're a newcomer to the hobby.

Springmotor70

Juliann,  Good evening,

Congratulations on your finding an art-case series machine.  

I believe it has an electric motor.  The motor will need a little lubrication and a little attention

As others have noted above shellac records should be played with a fresh needle each time.  That's why there are those handy needle bins inside your machine.  you can choose from a soft, medium or loud tone needle depending on the record you want to play.  Very worn records can easily slow down a motor that does not have much power.    A very clean and unworn record plays for easily.  

Your machine was intended to play records that were acoustically recorded.  You can easily play shellac 78s made from the teens, twenties and thirties.  In the mid 1920s records began to electrically recorded.  The recordings captured a wider range of sounds and played louder.  These will also sound great on your machine - especially if you have the reproducer rebuilt.  I would stay away from records pressed after 1937 or 38 or later.

While 40s and post war records will still "play" on your machine the shellac and groove are intended for a lighter pick up and a stylus.  These records will blast in volume and will wear out the records much faster.

Good luck! - and you can post in the acoustic machine forum as well for more information.  Your machine also falls into that category

Have a good evening,

Darren

Also, make sure the tonearm and reproducer move up and down and swing side to side freely - they may need lubrication in all the joints.  They are also probably made with pot metal, which swells with age and can restrict movement.

By the way, nice machine and welcome.

Edited by CurtA

15 hours ago, Springmotor70 said:

I believe it has an electric motor.  The motor will need a little lubrication and a little attention.

Whoops, she diid say it was electric. My bad.