Columbia AG Graphophone playing Gilmore's Band (early 1900s)

melvind

This machine is pretty fun and a little bit unique because it has an over decal for Sears, Roebuck & Co, Inc. over a portion of the normal Columbia decal in the lower right side. It is shown and heard here playing a brown wax 5 inch Columbia Grand cylinder record by Gilmore's Band.

I have not been able to figure out the name of the song on the record. I have listened to the announcement over and over even slowed down and I simply have no idea what it says. The rest of announcement is clear and easy to understand. If anyone knows the name of this song (and maybe even the record number) please let me know so I can update the notes.

Columbia AG Graphophone playing Gilmore's Band (early 1900s)

Edited by melvind
  • Like 1

Dan, I have an AB McDonald and love it. Yours is really nice and loud. I see you have the same problem I do with cylinder shrinkage. I reamed mine a bit just to get close to fitting. I ended up buying a Vulcan cylinder from England for the purpose of demoing the machine because I knew every time I put the ill fitting Columbia cylinder on the mandrel I was one step closer to breaking the darn thing. I really enjoyed the video but for the life of me I have no idea what the title is either. Good luck figuring it out.

David

I just spent some time listening to this because I hate loose ends. It is likely the Merry War March. The two minute and XP cylinder number is 15803. I figured it out by going through a list of Gilmore's recordings to see what sounded familiar then played it from the UCSB site which has a different arrangement of the same song. I now conclude by stating, I could be wrong.

David

19 minutes ago, Mainspring said:

I just spent some time listening to this because I hate loose ends. It is likely the Merry War March. The two minute and XP cylinder number is 15803. I figured it out by going through a list of Gilmore's recordings to see what sounded familiar then played it from the UCSB site which has a different arrangement of the same song. I now conclude by stating, I could be wrong.

David

You are absolutely correct. I found a couple of YouTube videos of the Merry War March and it is indeed the same song. Thanks so much. I had looked through the UCSB cylinders trying to find names that sounded like the announcement, but I missed this one. I will update info on YouTube with that info. Thanks a million!

The March was written by Johann Strauss in the early 1880s for his Operetta of the same name.

I can no longer edit the original post, so it will not get the change, but the thread has it.

Edited by melvind

Neilvanstem

Nice AG. No sticker like that on my AG but on the 1898 Eagle I have the same Sears sticker. Now on my AG (inside lid) I have a sticker inside which I show here. Thanks for the nice video. 

Columbia AG machine (9).JPG