Columbia Graphophone Type S Coin Operated Cylinder Player

maryd

I purchased a Columbia Graphophone  Type S Coin Operated Cylinder Player.  I have no idea if it works or how it works.   I was wondering where the best place is to look up information.

Also a good place for supplies to get it up and running.  If anyone could steer me in a direction I would appreciate it. 

\

• Like 2

Here is a video showing the operation of the Type S/AS coin-op machine.  How about posting some pictures of what you have?

Curt

• Like 2

Thank you Curt, I loved it, and now I know something about the machine.   The tube next to the speed control on the front stumps me. I dont have the wire coming out of the top.  

I will compare your video to my machine and maybe figure out what I am missing.   Did you find any written material or manual on the Type S?

Also do you know of any parts contacts?

Thanks again, Mary

Mary,

I have this same machine , also.  If you are referring to the small tube to the right of the speed control, it should have a wire rod inserted which pushes up at the end of play and resets the reproducer.  Pictures of your machine would help determine what might be missing.  I do not have any written material and Shawn, the guy who produced the video quit reprinting any of it.  Originals will be next to impossible to find, including extra parts.  If you need anything specific, you can email Shawn and see if he has any parts - he's the coin-op guru.  The small rod can probably be made, if you can't find an original.

mshawnorourke@gmail.com

Where/when did you find yours and do you mind saying what you paid for it?  These are fairly rare and you don't find them for sale often...  Does yours have a 14" nickel plated horn and elbow - original crank, coin box and keys?

Tinfoilphono

The "S" (also known as "AS") was a Graphophone Type A with added parts for coin-operated use. I have never seen nor heard of a service or repair manual for these. There were sales materials printed, but they will not help with its operation (or restoration). The Video Curt posted is the best I've seen on this particular machine.

As Curt has noted, clear pictures of yours would help -- especially the top works, and the interior of the cabinet showing the motor. It would give us a much clearer idea of what you may need.

When these became obsolete in the early 20th century many had their coin gear removed to make them function as normal machines for home use. It can be problematic to find missing parts today. 

It might be worth contacting Ken Danckaert about missing parts. He has made some in the past and might have some left. PM me for his email if you're interested (he's located in Maryland). He also does restorations if you decide you need professional assistance.

These are wonderful machines. They can be slightly tricky to get into adjustment, but once they are properly set up they're pretty bullet-proof, and work great.

• Like 2

I have been trying to add pictures to this site .  It is not working for me.    I will try again tomorrow.  I know it is missing some pieces.   I have found this web site hard to figure out.  

It's pretty easy to add pictures. At the bottom of your post there is an area where you can attach image files. You might need to scroll down a bit to see that section. You can either choose files or on a computer drag files to the area

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, maryd said:

I purchased a Columbia Graphophone  Type S Coin Operated Cylinder Player.  I have no idea if it works or how it works.   I was wondering where the best place is to look up information.

Also a good place for supplies to get it up and running.  If anyone could steer me in a direction I would appreciate it. 

\

D6E2C94B-425F-4ED6-A334-7E688E978905.jpeg

9A85073B-C925-4B6C-9A9F-D95FF4B5F88C.jpeg

B2D5DAF6-97DB-47FF-9008-E4FDC9A56776.jpeg

4CD7C95D-503C-43EA-821F-459231B47BB6.jpeg

C276093A-DC59-4CA8-BEB4-0074DE4FF567.jpeg

F82B23CA-D16A-4B9E-894F-23C326C90E7E.jpeg

537252B9-18D1-4FEF-AEFE-758F5BFC3FB3.jpeg

1D004540-06C7-4998-B62F-BB0B016A9997.jpeg

242FEC31-1473-423E-9323-9128F07575ED.jpeg

A386BF3E-9DAC-439A-9485-17F280671E08.jpeg

45E3C4D2-B11B-46F1-84F2-9A201B138890.jpeg

57621F55-5A87-4813-9DB4-250299AF0C7F.jpeg

FF454AD8-DBC2-4C4A-8B70-4DF2F4FE79DF.jpeg

D9537610-7907-4A25-A0E0-99F8AC429FB7.jpeg

• Like 1

Congratulations, yours is a machine many of us dream of oneday adding to our collections.

On 1/13/2024 at 2:10 PM, maryd said:

\

Thank you, Its missing some parts, so I hope I can get it up and running again.

I think it was a find!!!!! I will let you know.

Nice machine...  From initial observation, there are several obvious coin-op parts missing.  I have marked them for you, but there may be others...

There should also be a metal bar which lifts up the reproducer and is connected to the auto-stop.  Ken or Shawn may be able to help with these parts that are necessary to function as a coin-op machine.

You also need a drive belt, two hinges for the left side of the top and a lid stay, coin box, horn and elbow, two half mortise locks, crank escutcheon and ???

Screenshot2024-01-14at8_05_11PM.png.c21244470aef08c83cbdfdbd3139e71b.png

Edited by CurtA

If you are unsure how to repair this or need help - ASK before doing anything...  An amateur fix may destroy this.