Help with Edison D machines

cplyons

I was lucky enough to win a local auction this week for a nice (refinished) Edison D machine. It came with two very nice horns, one of which (may be) an original hand painted Morning Glory, as shown in the picture. Even though I've had a different Model D for many years, I've never gotten the 2/4 minute functionality working. I have a (good) C Reproducer and a broken Model H 4-minute one. I'm planning on sending that one off to Mr. Vollema for refurbishment.

So, I pulled my older Edison D out of storage to compare the two machines. They are very different, and I would like advice on which one might be a better showpiece/listener candidate for full clean-up/refurb. Photos below. The older one is larger, has an end-gate and what looks like a place to add a second belt. It also has a little selector for 2 vs. 4 minute, (which may change the feed screw)? The other, newer one has none of these features, but says it is a Model D, Combination Type. Am I right thinking they are both Home models?

Both machines run well using their C Reproducers on 2-minute cylinders. I guess I don't understand how to perform a 2/4 change-over on either of these machines. I've searched on the web and gotten no useful info. I'd like to know more about proper functionality before getting to work on either one. Thanks, Chris

New Eddie D.jpeg

Old Eddie D.jpeg

Two D phonos.jpeg

Two D phonos.jpeg

New Eddie D.jpeg

Old Eddie D.jpeg

Edited by cplyons
Pix upside down!

I believe on your older machine you just push/pull that pully with the belt to engage or disengage the 2-4 minute change.  

Both of your machines are Edison Homes.  The Home with the end gate is a Model B which has has an Edison 2/4-minute attachment fitted.  The Home lacking an end gate is a Model D.  When describing machines like this, collectors state "Home Model B" or "Model D Home."  There were Model B Standards, Homes, Triumphs, Gems, and Firesides.  There were Model D Gems, Standards, Homes, and Triumphs, so you can see that simply using the model letter offers little information.

To engage either machine in 2-minute mode, push the flange on the pulley to the LEFT.  To engage in 4-minute mode, pull the flange to the RIGHT.  These operations are somewhat easier to do when the machine is running.  Keep in mind that 2-minute mode requires a Model C Reproducer (typically) and 4-minute mode requires a Model H Reproducer (typically).   (There are other reproducer choices for either mode, but the Model C and Model H are the most common.)

Here's one of the several free articles on the APS website which you may like:

https://www.antiquephono.org/#/collectiondetails/16

By the way, that's a spectacular horn!

George P.

The Model D (no endgate) with  quarter sawn oak is my favorite and the yellow flowered horn has stirred up horn envy...

Screenshot2024-01-13at5_32_23PM.png.a6ce48f27db2a8a9cef00efab8a5feb3.png

Edited by CurtA

Thank you so much for all the information, friends!

for some reason, I seem to recall that machines with end gates are better long-term because of the additional bearing support. Should that be a consideration as I compare these two machines?

Once the troublesome original bearings of the Standard, Home, and Triumph Model D machines have been replaced, their longevity should be comparable to the earlier models with end gates.

George P.

As far as performance and longevity they are both about the same.  In considering wich to keep, it looks like your longer held D model might have been refinished.  Many would prefer to have the original finish on their showpice but there are other considerations.  If you are planning that it be prominently displayed in your house, a super clean refinished piece might be considered more acceptable to some, like your partner.  🙂

Edited by Valecnik