WANTED: Wanted a working cylinder phonograph for under 150 dollars.

Oceanlinerfanatic191

Oceanlinerfanatic191

Wanted a working cylinder phonograph for under 150 dollars.

View Advert

I am looking for a working cylinder phonograph for under 150 dollars. That is all I can afford. I do not care if it plays 2min or 4min cylinders. I do not own a cylinder player as I cannot afford one. I am a young 15 year old enthusiast who is new to the phonograph community who is just looking for a player.

• Advertiser
    Oceanlinerfanatic191
  • Date
    01/02/24
  • Price

• Category

Edited by Oceanlinerfanatic191

The cylinder you are interested in is a "black wax 4min. Amberol", so you need a 4 min. phonograph to play it.  The downside is that black wax Amberols were made from a very brittle wax formula that is very fragile and likely to shatter from something as simple as temperature changes.  Many have been broken putting them on and taking them off of a phonograph.  

I have been collecting over 50 years and would not buy one, no matter what - they are also not repairable.  Edison changed to Blue Amberols, which are unbreakable, but don't have all the same titles.   

As far as a player, send an email to APS and explain that you are a new collector age 15, and someone might be able to help you find one, either very cheap or free.  Let me know what you find out, maybe I can help.

Curt

Oceanlinerfanatic191

Thank you for the help:)

I got a dumb question. When you say to send an email to APS, Where exactly is the email address to whom I write. I am quite new on this site so it is a bit confusing.

Thanks

Travis.

59 minutes ago, Oceanlinerfanatic191 said:

Thank you for the help:)

I got a dumb question. When you say to send an email to APS, Where exactly is the email address to whom I write. I am quite new on this site so it is a bit confusing.

Thanks

Travis.

Here's the APS website:

https://www.antiquephono.org/#/

Go to the bottom of the Home Page where it says "Contact Us."

George P.