The Oldest Voices We Can Still Hear - Documentary

melvind

This video was posted in late November and it quite remarkable. I'm not sure there is anything new here that is not available elsewhere, but it is very professionally produced and combines all the various old recordings that are out there in one presentation. I loved it and I hope others find it interesting as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Our daughter and a friend were visiting over the weekend, and the question was asked regarding the oldest known recordings.  I failed to mention Von Moltke, so I sent the link to them...

Thanks for posting this, Dan!

George P.

14 hours ago, phonogfp said:

Our daughter and a friend were visiting over the weekend, and the question was asked regarding the oldest known recordings.  I failed to mention Von Moltke, so I sent the link to them...

Thanks for posting this, Dan!

George P.

George, you have a much more inquisitive family than I do. I can't imagine anyone in my family asking such a question. They just all think I'm the crazy relative. 🤓

1 hour ago, melvind said:

George, you have a much more inquisitive family than I do. I can't imagine anyone in my family asking such a question. They just all think I'm the crazy relative. 🤓

Well, I should point out that it was our daughter's FRIEND who was asking the question...!

• Haha 2

We have received some additional information regarding the YouTube video that is “referenced” in this posting.

The majority of text, images, and sound are taken directly from “First Sounds” publications, as well as The Antique Phonograph of June 2019.

The “First Sounds” website indicates that everything is open for free use under Creative Commons; however, specifies that everything should be attributed.

The creator of the YouTube failed to provide attribution and we are ensuring that the proper attributions are noted here.

• Like 2

Well, that's disappointing - and annoying.  There's absolutely no reason for failing to provide attribution, unless it's either thoughtlessness or a deliberate attempt to mislead authorship.  Neither Dan (the original poster) nor the rest of us initially caught the plagiarism inherent in this otherwise engaging YouTube video.  Here is the First Sounds website with another reference to David Giovannoni and his restoration processes:

https://www.firstsounds.org/

http://dgio.net/preservation.html

George P.

• Like 1