Leeds & Catlin Record Labels

phonogfp

Under a separate thread called "Store Brand Labels," most of the known labels purveyed by the International Record Company have been pictured.  I mistakenly included two Leeds & Catlin labels in a post (now corrected), but it occurred to me that Leeds & Catlin certainly deserved a similar thread.

Here is the best-known of the Leeds & Catlin disc labels - suitably marketed as a "Leeds Record."  The first of these had "Ohio Talking Machine Company " in relief at the bottom, but these were soon changed to "The Talk-O-Phone Co."

LCleedslarge.thumb.JPG.ed82dbae2bf8cffc72d8b281cb3c77ab.JPG

I've seen only a few of these with a "Loudest & Clearest" design on the reverse:

LCreverse.thumb.JPG.328adcd820fa2f6cc04d6cfdd91d021a.JPG

On occasion, a smaller version of the label was used:

LCsmall.thumb.JPG.385e84bd9adf02534eb8b0697cfb14ae.JPG

Also on occasion, a green label appeared for no apparent reason:

LCleedsgreen.thumb.JPG.3236be79eb0268542d07d18044142aa6.JPG

By mid-1905, the foil label was being phased out and replaced by the Imperial label:

LCimperial.thumb.JPG.55ec183c47c774861622480f4fe87633.JPG

The Concert was a lower-priced Leeds & Catlin label:

LCConcert.thumb.JPG.426cf7e9e5631a074e12c97a54ccbc34.JPG

Leeds & Catlin pressed the "A" series of Busy Bee discs:

LCbusybee.thumb.JPG.9de2e9461906357a9188bd111e93479e.JPG

The mysterious Banner label:

LCbanner.thumb.JPG.0bbab061642fdd4eeaf18f8b2efec1e4.JPG

The later Eagle Records with full-color labels were pressed by Leeds & Catlin:

LCEagle.thumb.JPG.26e4ef65836d54542a4f69ed0ffb0956.JPG

Another mysterious L&C label, the Silver Star:

LCsilverstar.thumb.JPG.a7743f4e29b544fda90c3837dd500075.JPG

The first of the United Hebrew Disk and Cylinder Company disc records were pressed by Leeds & Catlin.  The red label must certainly have drawn the legal attention of Victor.  Later pressings feature a blue label (see the thread on "Store Brand Labels" for a blue labeled example pressed by the International Record Company):

LChebrew.thumb.JPG.7cacf5b62a57f9d977e9f334801fcdce.JPG

One of the more commonly-found Leeds & Catlin labels:

LCsun.thumb.JPG.ca0eca124fa3bcb58f6646a255b0bfee.JPG

Here are three different series of Nassau Records pressed by Leeds & Catlin:

LCNassau1.thumb.JPG.d5941da115fbff9fcc363bb8885ad20e.JPG

LCNassau2.thumb.JPG.1dc2dc325a7a4cf8869877ab74bcfbd9.JPG

LCNassau3.thumb.JPG.f90f9cde97ba0dc754493375a8f2ec2b.JPG

Finally, here's one of the last labels issued by Leeds & Catlin; a double-sided Peerless:

LCpeerless.thumb.JPG.97009d8a159ad3e49ae8a40cc470f03a.JPG

I'd be pleased to see other examples of L&C pressings!

George P.

• Like 3

Neilvanstem

Nice labels all. One at least I have never seen even in books. Like many I like Leeds labels. I only have two. Different diameter labels, one with the announcement, and both different like the two you show. I have never see the blank side like the one you show and boy that sure is desirable! Mine look nice though not completely blank. I think even the plain side is nice looking. 

100_2982.JPG

• Like 1

Neilvanstem

I have one of the Silver Star label and it has the numbers in mirror image in the run off area which I think I read was done when it was a Leeds and Catlin record? You all just have so many records/labels that I do not have. So nice though to see them. 

100_2985.JPG

100_2986.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neilvanstem said:

Like many I like Leeds labels...  I have never see the blank side like the one you show and boy that sure is desirable! Mine look nice though not completely blank. I think even the plain side is nice looking. 

I agree, and it was a clever way for Talk-O-Phone to get around the use of a threaded record clamp to prevent the record from slipping.

And yes, the mirror-image numbers are a sure sign of a Leeds & Catlin pressing, although apparently not all L&C pressings have them.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Analogous said:

Has anyone developed a complete list of L&C labels?

According to Leeds & Catlin Records, A History and Discography, by William R. Bryant, Edited and Annotated by Allan Sutton, Leeds and Catlin pressed the following labels:

Aretino (A-prefixed single-sided; D-prefixed double-sided); Busy Bee (A-prefixed); Concert; D&R (early pressings); Duquesne; Eagle (later pressings); Imperial; Imperial Grand Opera; Leeds (gold foil and green labels); Nassau; National; Oxford (during 1907-1908); Peerless; Silver Star; Sir Henri (1907-1910); Sun; Symphony; 20th Century Record; Vim (V-prefixed, Imperial catalog numbered).

These labels are illustrated and described in detail in the book, along with a discography.

• Like 3

Thanks George,

I've written Allan to see if I can get a copy somehow!

Of course, what I REALLY need is an early catalog of their cylinders... and Walcutt & Leeds... and Walcutt & Miller!!

• 6 months later...

A friend once sent me a 7" Leeds disc that had the typical artwork in the label area but this disc does not have the gold foil.  I've copied this disc and can upload a picture of it. 

I do not have the two types of Leeds and Catlin but do have two of their records and the size of the labels are different. One smaller one larger. So I console myself! ha ha Neil

• 10 months later...