Planned Outage - Sunday 5 May - 2A - 4A, EDT - Platform Upgrade ×

Servicing a London based Edison cylinder machine

Michelle

Hello.  I am based in London England and I have a 1920s (?) Edison cylinder machine made by J. Foster of Birkenhead. We bought it 40+ years ago in a  flea market in Luxembourge along with a small handful of cylinders. It did work at teh time as I remember we played the cylinders we had. However, since then it has sat on a shelf gathering dust.
I am now interested in brinigng it to life again but I need to find someone who understands how it works  and who might be abel to hlep me clean it up and do whatever may be necessary. I am happy to pay someone to do this .
I was wondering whether anyone on this forum might be able to help? Images atached.
THank yuou - Michelle BJ

D3C2CEC8-0CA2-4252-88BF-A41DD8AC2BC1_1_105_c.jpeg

19E71175-7B67-4458-AA16-F7F6C892A50A_1_105_c.jpeg

4B5D4146-3267-4AF6-A3C9-20056828DDEA_1_105_c.jpeg

AAF8FEDB-ACF1-4654-9CDC-E03A3719F64C_1_105_c.jpeg

23ECC509-BC1E-4E30-863E-F9C6B1958AF0_1_105_c.jpeg

I'm in California so unfortunately I'm not in a position to help service your phonograph, but I can at least give you some basic information.

You have an Edison Standard Model B, made around 1906-1907. After 1908 it was fitted with an "Amberol Attachment." This is the assembly at the left side of the mechanism. It allows switching the gears to play either 2-minute cylinders (recorded at 100 threads per inch) or 4-minute (recorded at 200tpi). At the same time the reproducer carriage was updated to one with a larger reproducer positioned horizontally to improve the sound. Originally the carriage was angled at the front and had a smaller reproducer. The horizontal reproducer was best suited to the then-new and larger 'cygnet' horn, which sat above the machine supported by a crane mounted on the back. But obviously it will work with an angled adapter and smaller horn such as you have. Overall it's a very well-made and durable machine.

J. Foster was the local dealer who sold the machine, not the manufacturer. Many dealers added celluloid or metal tags to promote their own business when they sold phonographs.

There are certainly many collectors in the UK so someone should be able to help you clean and lubricate the mechanism. The cabinet looks to be excellent so it could simply be cleaned and waxed -- there would be no need to refinish it. 

You might have luck finding someone local through the City of London Phonograph & Gramophone Society at https://www.clpgs.org.uk/.

Good luck -- you have a nice machine!

Edited by Tinfoilphono

• 3 weeks later...

Hello ,   I am in UK on the south coast, Portsmouth area  . If you get stuck , I'd be happy to take a look for you and advise what  needs doing.

although I won't be doing anything until the Spring when the weather improves !    Regards   PAUL      07833325793