Planned Outage - Sunday 5 May - 2A - 4A, EDT - Platform Upgrade ×

Busy bee cylinder records

Dan

Does anyone have a source to buy Busy bee cylinders? Most of the ones I see on eBay are really molded up. I’m looking for a few good playing samples with boxes and lids? Thanks in advance

Dan

Busy Bee cylinders in good playable condition are scarce in the collector community.  When I see them offered (which is rare), they're usually in the $75-$100 range. 

EBay is a poor venue for buying scarce records.  Unscrupulous sellers will fail to show flaws in their pictures.  Careless/unknowledgable sellers pack poorly, resulting in the destruction of the record(s).  Your best bet is to attend a show or auction where you can see the record(s) personally, negotiate with the seller (show), and take the records home with you.  There are shows every spring and fall at Wayne, NJ; every June at Schaumburg, IL; every August near Los Angeles; and occasionally in North Carolina.  There are auctions at least twice a year at Stanton's in Michigan.  Details on these events are advertised in the APS quarterly magazine, and on the APS website ( https://www.antiquephono.org/#/event/future/1 ).

If this hobby teaches you anything, it will be patience when looking for scarce or rare items.  The satisfaction when you finally find it (them) makes it all worthwhile.

George P.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phonogfp said:

If this hobby teaches you anything, it will be patience when looking for scarce or rare items.  The satisfaction when you finally find it (them) makes it all worthwhile.

George P.

George, that is so true and great advice!

• Like 2

Thank you all for the advice. I acquired ot a few days after the Wayne show wish I had before I went.

Can someone please tell me what’s missing / wrong with the speed regulator in the picture . I think a spring is missing or something to keep the arm following the screw and the lever looks like it doesn’t do anything maybe positioned wrong. IMG_4110.thumb.jpeg.063b4b2731eb07de27c27a00c084435d.jpegAny help would be great appreciated . I can’t find any clear pictures online. Thanks

Dan

10 hours ago, Dan said:

Thank you all for the advice. I acquired ot a few days after the Wayne show wish I had before I went.

Can someone please tell me what’s missing / wrong with the speed regulator in the picture . I think a spring is missing or something to keep the arm following the screw and the lever looks like it doesn’t do anything maybe positioned wrong. IMG_4110.thumb.jpeg.063b4b2731eb07de27c27a00c084435d.jpegAny help would be great appreciated . I can’t find any clear pictures online. Thanks

Dan

I found a clear picture it looks like the lever isn’t right, in the picture I found  it looks like it should fit in the notch on the speed reg arm ( sorry for the nomenclature not sure of parts names) that has the felt pad that rubs on governor plate. Again any info is appreciated.

Dan

Dan,

It appears that the "on-off" lever is positioned incorrectly.  The side opposite the handle should ride on the top edge of the friction pad arm so that when moved up and down, the friction pad arm will move on and off the governor disc. The knurled speed adjusting screw can then be adjusted for the proper speed. (From the looks of the screw the pivots the lever arm, it appears it has been worked on before.)

Rob

20231015_142258-LR.jpg

3 hours ago, AudioAntique said:

Dan,

It appears that the "on-off" lever is positioned incorrectly.  The side opposite the handle should ride on the top edge of the friction pad arm so that when moved up and down, the friction pad arm will move on and off the governor disc. The knurled speed adjusting screw can then be adjusted for the proper speed. (From the looks of the screw the pivots the lever arm, it appears it has been worked on before.)

Rob

20231015_142258-LR.jpg

Yes thank you I found a picture and moved the lever it working now . Thanks for help

Dan

I’m trying to get some information on this busy bee Q , George you helped me with Edison machines do have the same source for Columbia busy bee’s

the serial # is 855011, there are 3 J’s next to  threaded screw for winding key and a Q below the same. There are also #’s on the bottom of the base 4708 a few spaces and a 7.  Again any info is greatly appreciated.

Dan

Sorry Dan, but no similar documentation is yet known for Q Graphophones.  O'Neill-James began marketing the Busy Bee Qs in 1904, but I'm afraid that's about all I can offer at this point.

George P.

21 hours ago, phonogfp said:

Sorry Dan, but no similar documentation is yet known for Q Graphophones.  O'Neill-James began marketing the Busy Bee Qs in 1904, but I'm afraid that's about all I can offer at this point.

George P.

Thanks George

• 3 months later...
Oceanlinerfanatic191