Planned Outage - Sunday 5 May - 2A - 4A, EDT - Platform Upgrade ×

2 1/2" Long Brown Wax Cylinder

Andersun

Anyone know who made this wax cylinder and why? I'm afraid to play it so I dont know what is on it.

Thanks!

Steve

71829362201__9ED2DAFF-8C48-4EED-96FF-E1513ED1B5AE.JPG

IMG_3700.JPG

Edited by Andersun

• 6 months later...
phonoobsession

Why are you afraid to play it? If you have a Model B reproducer and don't play it while it is super hot weather, there shouldn't be much damage to the record. That's the only way to find out what is recorded on it. Or you send it to someone who can play cylinders electrically with a lightweight pickup and ask for a digital transfer.

Cheers

Helmut

Somewhere I read about these short cylinders being given away at some event in the past - maybe even used as napkin rings?  Do you have the original box?

phonoobsession

To my knowledge the napkin rings (by Columbia - not sure if there were any by other companies) were even small than your cylinder, about half the length of yours, I'd say.

One possibility can of course be that it originally was a standard length brown wax that someone cut short for whatever reason. Maybe one end was cracked or heavily scratched?

The only other cylinders I know of that shorter length are either doll cylinders or shorter blanks. The German Excelsior company offered standard diameter blanks in different lengths (short, standard and long for dictation). They also offered a "Postwalze" (mail cylinder) which perhaps was the same length as their short blanks (not sure though). A wooden box in form of cube was offered as well for proper packaging to ship it by mail. These cylinders were offered as a blank to record a message on and send it to a friend, or with pre-recorded titles. Unfortunately I do not own an example of either the record or the wooden shipping box. I just can show you the image Excelsior had in their catalogues - this one dates from 1903. If the proportions are correct, I'd guess this is about the length of your cylinder. If you play it, the riddle perhaps could be solved.

Excelsior Postwalze + box.jpg

5 hours ago, phonoobsession said:

One possibility can of course be that it originally was a standard length brown wax that someone cut short for whatever reason. 

Interesting thought. Notice how one end has the typical radius, while the other appears to be cut off square, as near as we can see. With a standard length cylinder would we not expect the same radius at each end? Would the same not be assumed for a cylinder originally made to a shorter length? 

Maybe it was a family recording and the "black sheep" was cut off...  early media editing.