Serial Numbers on the Edison 1 A

Jamie

I have owned my Amberola 1 A since 1986. Finally doing a much needed maintenance to the cabinet and works. Thanks to Brett Hurts You tube series on his 1 A restoration, I'm doing much more than a basic cleaning and reassembly. The serial number of this instrument "1619" matches on the bedplate, Edison tag, and is stamped into the wooden cabinet.  As I was painting the cast iron motor frame I discovered "1609" stamped into the side. This is the first I have ever paid attention to a detail like this. Is this number on the frame  "supposed" to match to the bedplate? After owning this for nearly 40 years, if the motor frame is mismatched it does not make a bit of difference to me. I was just wondering if others have noticed this.... After working production for GM for 30 years I can understand first hand how things can get mismarked at the point of assembly.....

Edison frame number.JPG

I have had 2 A1s and neither of them have matching motor frames. Currently I have serial number 287 with a motor frame number 137

• Like 2

Based on a sample of seven 1A's the serial no. and frame no. match in five out of seven cases.  I don't think that means anything is wrong with the ones which don't match.  Seems they might have tried to match them early on but quickly decided it was too much bother.  The 1Bs and IIIs very often don't match.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Valecnik said:

Based on a sample of seven 1A's the serial no. and frame no. match in five out of seven cases.  I don't think that means anything is wrong with the ones which don't match.  Seems they might have tried to match them early on but quickly decided it was too much bother.  The 1Bs and IIIs very often don't match.

I fully agree with this, based upon my observations.  The early Amberola activity was pretty chaotic.  Here's a series of articles on the IA and IB.

George P.

Amberolaarticle.pdf

#2article.pdf

finalambart.pdf

• Like 1

I was going to suggest George that you please chime in and provide a link to those excellent articles from a few years back.  You should consider doing an update noting the significant amount of variation within the models, especially the 1A.  Not only inconsistency in serial no. patterns, grill styles and cabinets but storage space, carving, type of key, type of lid lift, placement of serial no. tags, repurposing of cabinets for diamond disc mechanisms, etc. etc.  Actually it might require the writing of a small book.

• Confused 1