Capehart 405E with automatic record changer (Restoration Topic)

Ketronj281989

Good day to all,

I wanted to introduce myself for the first time and share a restoration on a machine I am servicing for a gentleman out of Alabama.  My name is Jon Ketron, several of you may already know me.  I love servicing early electric phonographs as well as radio/phono models produced by manufacturers which pre-date WWII.  My passion and specialization is Capehart.  This company offered the ultimate set up during the 1930's and early 1940's time period for all your radio and electrically produced record needs.  Several of you may already know Capehart.  This is my 20th Capehart restoration to date.  I have serviced both 400 series and top of the line 500 series Capehart's and I wanted to document this 400 series here showing just how great, and complex, these machines are.  I hope you enjoy.  I also have a YouTube channel and will be posting restoration videos as I go for those interested.

Within the realm of Phonographs and early changers, I wanted to share a recent restoration for a customer based out of Alabama.
This Gentleman had seen this very Capehart first play back in the 1970's and was hooked ever since.  Just recently after all those years, owning one became a reality for him.  Ionically it was the same one he had seen play and flip records back in the 1970's!

In for service is a circa 1937 Capehart 405E.  This the fancy early Chippendale cabinet.  The 400 model Capehart's were some of the most premier radio/phonograph models available to the consumer back in the 1930s/1940s era.  I would somewhat compare them the Victor electrola units of the late 1920's in terms of grandeur and innovation.  Capehart took it up several notches, radio/amplifier technology did advance quite a bit by the late 1930's.  Innovations such as superheterodyne tuners, bi-amplified circuits with two speakers, and more powerful tubes were available and utilized in the Capehart.  This machine likely received a wood cabinet refinish sometime in the 1950's.  It sports all of its original equipment including the famed one and only Capehart 16-E fully automatic record changer.  This record changer is a marvel to watch operate.  Fully restored and calibrated it will perform record playing and changing flawlessly.  These are precision machines and must be properly adjusted to work correctly or they will indeed crunch records.  This Capehart 405E was likely in a club or public area.  As you can see there are two sets of locks on the unit.  This is not a one-off feature as I have owned and seen other collector's Capehart's with the same feature.  This was likely a dealer addition at time of purchase.  The keys are missing, we are going to get new one's made.  One locks the front door for the radio tuner, and another inside the cabinet locks out the AC power from ever arriving the tuner.  This ensures no one could turn on the set without the master key.  Rather interesting set up indeed.

Scope of work:

Our main objective in this restoration for the customer is to complete a full electrical and mechanical restoration.  Cosmetics will also be attended to with great detail.  All electronics will receive a full electrical evaluation, restoration, and professional alignment post electrical restoration.  We will also check the speakers for damage, cable damage, and also check all radio tubes for defects.  We will be attending to cosmetics such as remanufacturing the missing keys for the locks, re-plate of the two-dial escutcheon's, re-painting black wrinkle finish metal items in need of re-paint, as well as polishing and remanufacturing of metal surfaces and hard rubber items on the changer mechanism surface.  The record changer and motor will receive a full disassembly, cleaning, new grease and oil applied, re-assembly, and testing of records post-restoration.  My official signoff will be once we send the changer thru a 100-record cycle with no hang-up's.  Lets dig in!!

Video 1:  

20230716_191634.jpg

20230716_191645.jpg

20230716_191850.jpg

20230716_191912.jpg

20230716_195900.jpg

• Like 3

Chapter 1:

Upon preliminary analysis it appears this machine has not seen use in quite some time.  According to the owner, this set has not been powered up since the 1990's.  We had a mouse living in the unit at one point.  Everything looks untouched for the most part.  With all electronics and speakers removed we check underneath the chassis and look over the speaker cones.  The cones are in mint condition, this is likely the first time they have ever been removed from the unit, very heavy.  The radio chassis has seen some mouse damage as the wiring near several coil cans has been chewed with insulation missing.  Several pilot lamp wires have also been chewed thru.  Both amplifier chassis look to be in good condition with no rodent damage.  Overall, very little electrical restoration has been performed.  Most all paper wax capacitors and electrolytics are the originals from 1937.  We will start restoration on both amplifiers now.

Video 2:  

Video 3:  

20230716_200811.jpg

Edited by Ketronj281989
  • Like 1

Chapter 2:

In 1937 The Capehart 400 sported a treble amplifier and bass amplifier.  The smaller amp went with the 12-inch baffle mount black Jensen speaker.  The larger amplifier went with the 14-inch pedestal Jensen speaker.  Both were driven independently although interconnected thru the larger amp and radio tuner.  Each amplifier supports 6L6 push pull audio output and all together capable of 30 watts total power output.  Very powerful for its day.  Each amplifier will receive a meticulous electrical restoration as well as a light cleaning and testing of amplifier tubes.

Chapter 3:

Finished results below.  In place of wet electrolytics I used dry non polarized capacitors of the finest modern quality today.  These large black Solen branded capacitors are made in France and are some of the finest to be found on the market today.  Wet electrolytics will eventually dry out and need to be replaced.  Dry nonpolar caps will last a lifetime for the owner.  All capacitors and all but one special wire wound resistor have been changed out for brand new components.  These amps will last a lifetime.

Chapter 4:

The Capehart 400 radio tuner for 1937 included many fine features only top end radios of the day had.  This tuner included sensitivity control, variable I.F. control, separate bass and treble controls, master volume control, four bandwidths making it an all-wave tuner capable of tuning in the most discriminating rf waves out there today.  The tuner had never been touched previously.  The following picture shows the finished result.  All capacitors were changed including both very hard to access underneath the band switch control.  All resistors and special value micas were checked and checked good.  Be very careful with swapping parts on sensitive tuners as most manufacturers hand-picked values for their tuner circuits.  These values can be very hard to find today.  Both amplifier's, speakers, and radio tuner are now cleaned and ready for install into the cabinet once again.

Video 4:  

20230918_074534.jpg

20230918_074531.jpg

20230918_074524.jpg

20230918_072437.jpg

20230918_072459.jpg

20230918_074709.jpg

20230918_074258.jpg

20230918_074313.jpg

Edited by Ketronj281989
  • Like 2

Chapter 5:

The radio and amplifier units sound great post restoration and alignment checks.  Check out the video below of the radio/amplifier units once again singing their tune.  Radio performance shown in this video.  Next up will be the automatic record changer servicing.

Video 5:  

• Like 4

Chapter 6:

As we dig into the 16-E record changer, it is very evident someone had made incorrect adjustments long ago.  These changers are sensitive and complex.  Careful and precision  adjustments must be made to ensure these changers work correctly during full cycles and within the play position.

Step one was to de-grease the entire changer mechanism.  Most all grease had solidified long ago.  Running the cycle by hand only I noticed binding in "one side" and "both side" positions.  Once de-greased, I further discovered two of the inner guide pins completely out of their track.  I had to perform a partial disassemble of this area of the changer, clean out all old grease from the cylinders and off the pins.  Once complete I oiled the cylinders, pins, and roller bearings within the end of each pin.  This process is critical to ensure a proper working changer.  The only correct way to do this is to perform what I performed here as these pins are vial to correctly operate the machine.  Careful to keep track of the location of parts at all time, I was able to re-assemble this area of the changer.  Once completed, I finished greasing the changer, as well as provided oil on all oil-lite bearings.  Once completed, I disassembled the tone arm and lift cam.  Once again these items need cleaned and lubricated.  They are always overlooked and will eventually cause issues if not tended to.  The main shaft needs to be lubricated as well as the springs.  The tone arm collar guides the vertical movement of the lift cam.  light grease needs to be applied to the shinny shaft.  Prior to this, the tone arm was sluggish upon set down onto the record due to the old solidified grease.  Once this was complete and leather facing checked good, I started part 1 of the changer calibration and alignment.  This is a very involved process.  Will be back with more soon.

Jon

20230919_113638.jpg

20230920_113634.jpg

20230920_162040.jpg

20230920_162100.jpg

20230920_162104.jpg

20230921_101105.jpg

20230921_111633.jpg

20230921_122224.jpg

20230926_140434.jpg

20230926_141605.jpg

20230926_144632.jpg

• Like 1

After many hours of calibration and adjustment, the changer is now complete.  We first aligned the record tray, magazine, as well as set the lash in the magazine.  Next we verified our measurements were correct with the reverse arm cam and pivot.  Afterward, we set the elevation on the record tray near end of cycle so the falling record would line up the center spindle.  Next we set the leather facing on the tone arm pivot cam and set the throw out arm and shaft.  After installing a new piece of rubber on the throw out arm wheel we next set up calibration of the tone arm, lift cam, set down elevation, and pivot.  I measured and verified the height of the tone arm to top of turntable felt, adjusted pick up elevation, as well as throw out lever and arm assembly for both 12 and 10 inch records.  It's important the distance between the record tray and yoke to be set at 5/8 inch so it may clear during cycle.  It is also imperative the needle sit's down on the record 5/32 inch from edge.  There is a lot of adjustment that goes into making one of these changers perform properly.  We not only cleaned all painted surfaces but also provided touch up, polishing of the chrome pieces, installed new record tray felt, and also installed a plastic sheet for the turntable which was a genuine Capehart bulletin issued in 1935 or before.  Some time in the early days of the 16-E, customers reported records catching on the felt from time to time which in turn caused a mechanism jam and a broken record.  A smooth polished disk was installed on many changers as a result by the original Capehart dealer.  I have seen many changers over the years with this plastic item installed.  It is for good reason.

My complete video detailing the Capehart 16-E Record Changer Restoration:  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by Ketronj281989
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this wonderfully enlightening series of videos.  These Capeharts are true marvels of their day, and still continue to impress listeners today.  As a younger collector, I was smitten with them when visiting friends that each owned one.  Soon enough, I managed to score one at an auction, the same vintage as this one you worked on, but in a different walnut cabinet.  My joy in getting it for a $2.00 final bid was tempered by the discovery that someone had liberated both speakers from the bottom of the case.  The more I investigated what needed to be done, the more I realized I was out of my depth with such a project.  Thanks to your videos, I now realize just how right I was.  I sold it a few years later to another collector, who deals with mechanical music and electronics.  Bless you for the work you do to keep these Capeharts singing for future generations of listeners. 

• Like 1

Ketronj281989

Hi BirkettMills,

Thank you for your response.  I appreciate your comments and your Capehart story.  Sadly many of these pre-war Capehart's are found today missing their speakers.  Replacements can be found, original's are hard to come by.  Completing a full restoration on one of these machines can be a daunting task, many working parts, and a lot going on compared to a single play phonograph which are plenty enjoyable as well.  I know there are other enthusiast out there and appreciate you chiming in.  Thank you for taking the time to watch the videos and reading the thread.  I enjoy sharing my work and spreading the word on Capehart.

Jon

• Like 3

Ketronj281989

With the changer now complete.  The magnetic head-shell only remains to be rebuilt before we start in on final testing of the changer.  All items are being installed back into the cabinet and wire placement has started.  Small items such as replacing the hardened rubber gasket materiel and replacing the power cord were the next tasks to complete.  The entire record compartment was sound proofed starting in 1937.  This Capehart feature included all models.  As a result, very little mechanical noise was heard from the compartment when playing records.  These machines were originally meant to be played with the compartments closed up.  Of course today, it is a fascination to see these marvels work in action so most collectors leave the doors open for that very reason.  We also tacked veneer separation on the rear side of the radio/changer shelf before installing the changer into the cabinet.

20231001_191909.jpg

20231001_194305.jpg

20231001_201058.jpg

20230930_185144.jpg

20230929_192440.jpg

• Like 1

Ketronj281989

This restoration is now coming to a close.  The finished result below of everything cleaned, organized per the factory set up from 1937, and placed as it was in 1937.  I took the time to hand cut each paper retainer for the wiring.  Capehart utilized this method with brads and penny nails all thru the 1930's and early 1940's.  It was their method to organize the wiring within the cabinet.  Very rarely will you see such a restored machine as the one pictured today.  No one really goes to this length to really re-create this level of originality today.  Almost always, the paper tabs are broken due to age or someone else already once into the set.  This Capehart had seen service several times over the last 50 years.  Now brought back to the factory set up, it is ready to entertain for years to come.  Once the head-shell servicing is complete we will perform testing on the record changer and then sign off on the restoration.  I have been listening to the radio for several weeks now, it is perfect and complete in terms of service.  One of the finest sounding sets of 1937 with full high fidelity control for AM.  This is one of the finest radios of 1937 that money could buy!

20231002_155449.jpg

20230930_191632.jpg

20230930_191635.jpg

20230930_191639.jpg

20230930_191647.jpg

20231001_191840.jpg

20231001_191841.jpg

20231001_191837.jpg

20231001_191824.jpg

20231001_191851.jpg

20231001_191847.jpg

20231001_191855.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Ketronj281989

Video 7:  

With the restoration coming to a close I thought I would upload a video showcasing all service work performed before the final demonstration video of the Capehart playing.

• Like 2

Ketronj281989

This restoration is now complete and the Capehart is ready to be returned to the owner. He is very excited. A final demonstration video link is below. In the video I go through the machine thoroughly discussing how to operate the all-wave tuner as well as the record player. It is a long video, although most informative for those whom are interested in understanding how these Capehart's operate. Pictures of the finished result as well below. Thank you to all whom tuned in, commented, and enjoyed this documented restoration.

Video 8:  

20231022_163636.jpg

20231022_163720.jpg

20231022_163734.jpg

VideoCapture_20231023-193252.jpg

20231022_163743.jpg

20231022_115513.jpg

20231022_121911.jpg

20231022_121858.jpg

20231022_115528.jpg

20231022_121850.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for taking the time and the trouble to record and publish these wonderful videos.  The world is lucky to have skilled technicians like you to restore every inch of these great instruments for today's listeners.  Your ambitious neatness to bundle the wires and tuck them neatly, even within the chassis---where they will only ever be seen by another technician---speaks well to your high standards of workmanship, much as was originally in place in the 1930s.  Your customer is lucky to have found you to restore this.

Watching the changer, does the reject cycle perform as well with non-eccentric runout grooves, as in those records with velocity-trip run-outs?  Of course, records lacking any runouts would not work (acoustic Victors and the like), but for those there is the handy reject button. 

What do you use for the needle/stylus in the pickup?  I'm familiar enough with the RCA Chromium needles of the 1940s (green shank), but have always been warned against using jewel-point and other semi-permanent needles.  Am I just being overly cautious?  I've seen a few videos where cactus thorn needles were used effectively, but know that most dull after a few plays, although they don't typically damage the disc when they get to this stage.

Ketronj281989
On 10/29/2023 at 3:01 PM, BirkettMills said:

Thanks for taking the time and the trouble to record and publish these wonderful videos.  The world is lucky to have skilled technicians like you to restore every inch of these great instruments for today's listeners.  Your ambitious neatness to bundle the wires and tuck them neatly, even within the chassis---where they will only ever be seen by another technician---speaks well to your high standards of workmanship, much as was originally in place in the 1930s.  Your customer is lucky to have found you to restore this.

Watching the changer, does the reject cycle perform as well with non-eccentric runout grooves, as in those records with velocity-trip run-outs?  Of course, records lacking any runouts would not work (acoustic Victors and the like), but for those there is the handy reject button. 

What do you use for the needle/stylus in the pickup?  I'm familiar enough with the RCA Chromium needles of the 1940s (green shank), but have always been warned against using jewel-point and other semi-permanent needles.  Am I just being overly cautious?  I've seen a few videos where cactus thorn needles were used effectively, but know that most dull after a few plays, although they don't typically damage the disc when they get to this stage.

Hello and thank you for your kind words and support/interest in this restoration.  The only records which will not automatically trip are those of the earlier style made before eccentric run-out groove inclusion.  Any record can be rejected manually, only those made with an eccentric run-out will trip automatically.  Regarding needles, I recommend RCA chromium with the green shank.  They are good for up to 50 plays each needle.  To my understanding of period literature you could also use diamond or sapphire semi-permanent styli on later 16-E variations with the lighter crystal pick up, circa 1941/1942.  Here is a video of the automatic trip working normally with no reject button pressed:

Edited by Ketronj281989
  • Like 1

Ketronj281989
On 11/2/2023 at 9:02 AM, Fran604g said:

Astonishing work, congratulations on your remarkable restoration!

Hello,

Appreciate your comments and interest in this restoration.

Jon Ketron