Help identifying this strange phonograph

OddBell

Try a magnet to see if it's steel. Pot metal is an alloy, primarily zinc. There is little to no iron so a magnet won't stick to pot metal. In your pictures it looks like there is some light surface rust, so that is likely a sign that it's steel and not pot metal. 

Looking at your video, and your original pictures, I now see that the crank knob is mounted upside down. That should be a very simple fix -- just unscrew it and move the knob to the top of the lever.

I think some past owner switched it to the bottom to avoid hitting the turntable with their hand while winding it up, ill probably keep it on the bottom for the same reason 

I just wiped down the whole unit with WD40 to try to restore the paint based on a recommendation from someone on here so that should loosen the screws a bit. The 2 I took out already weren't hard to remove. I thing the previous owner lubed everything up as he said he played some records on it

• Like 2

Yeah, amazingly actually, even after a day of drying it still looks great. I got some #0000 steel wool to polish the unpainted metal with the WD40 now

That's correct, I tested it with a magnet before taking it apart to clean everything and replace the dry rotted gaskets. Next the motor comes out, ill post pics so you guys can help me identify who makes it so I can order replacement parts if need be.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OddBell said:

That's correct, I tested it with a magnet before taking it apart to clean everything and replace the dry rotted gaskets. Next the motor comes out, ill post pics so you guys can help me identify who makes it so I can order replacement parts if need be.

Does the motor run? If it does, I'd first try to simply oil it. Do the easy stuff first 🙂

Edited by Jerry
  • Like 1

I posted a video on the first page of the comments of me cranking it up and running it for a bit. It makes a noise as the gears turn that sound like it's coming from the governor/turntable shaft gear area. I have no idea how many cranks should it take to wind the single spring motor all the way so I don't know if the spring may be broken or stuck in old grease.

It's making the sounds that I would expect it to, given the type of motor that it is. I'd add a little oil on the bearings and smear a bit of grease on the gear teeth, then try to play a record.

• Like 1

Thanks, I was expecting the worst that I would have to clean and regrease the spring. It's pretty dirty in the motor so after cleaning and oiling/greasing I'll make another video of it playing. I already rebuilt the reproducer and bought new needles so I should be good to go. Thanks for your advice

• Like 2