Did I do good?

MisterJive47

Picked up a VTLA for $175 with four original fitted albums filled with minty patent dog and grand prize records. (Turntable and reproducer removed for transport). The motor has a slipping or broken mainspring. Regardless, I was very happy to have gotten this lead from a fellow antique dealer.

20230920_134834.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CurtA said:

What's the cabinet with the TV on it?

Not to get off topic, but that's actually a pre-WW1 Sears Franklin sewing machine I picked up at the Salvation Army for $20

20211229_172233.jpg

• Like 2

Also, the A-100 i mentioned in my other post is the cabinet behind it up on the work trays. An Orthophonic 8-12x is to the right of it.

Edited by MisterJive47

Say Curt, the platter on the machine is a 12" nickel plated piece with original looking felt. Is that incorrect? All the other hardware is the gold plating. I didn't notice that until this evening. I know that it's supposed to be the same motorboard as the Victor VI.

8 hours ago, MisterJive47 said:

Say Curt, the platter on the machine is a 12" nickel plated piece with original looking felt. Is that incorrect? All the other hardware is the gold plating. I didn't notice that until this evening. I know that it's supposed to be the same motorboard as the Victor VI.

That would be correct. Since it uses a bullet brake, rubbing on the edge of the turntable, any gold plating would soon wear away, so they were nickel plated only. (just like the Victor VI)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

That would be correct. Since it uses a bullet brake, rubbing on the edge of the turntable, any gold plating would soon wear away, so they were nickel plated only. (just like the Victor VI)

Well, I learned something new there then! Funny that all these years I've seen Victor VI's both in person at shows, as well as in photos and never noticed that detail. Of course, that makes perfect sense with the bullet brake as you said. There is so little wear to the outer edge and to the felt, it's almost suspiciously clean. Definitely original now that I know though. THANKS!

The reason I said this VTLA was a good deal, is that it has all the necessary parts to restore a Vic VI, if necessary (not that I am recommending it) and the parts are worth more than you paid by themselves.  Anyway, it's a nice machine, as is...

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, CurtA said:

The reason I said this VTLA was a good deal, is that it has all the necessary parts to restore a Vic VI, if necessary (not that I am recommending it) and the parts are worth more than you paid by themselves.  Anyway, it's a nice machine, as is...

That's what I figured as well. I've seen Victor VI motorboards go for exorbitant amounts lately, but this by itself is a beautiful machine. Nice lot of records too. I've been having a fun time with them on the Victor II. Most are classical material,  but this one is perfect with Halloween just around the corner. 

20230922_194448.jpg

• Like 1

Say, if I keep it rather than fix it for resale, I would ideally like to restore the finish to the original vibrant red mahogany as is visible on the inside of the cabinet. If so,, would I be best off to...

A) float stain over the original shellac and reshellac?

B) tint clear shellac with stain?

C) strip the remains of the original shellac and re-stain+shellac?

I believe that the original owner's daughter/granddaughter reamalgamated the finish, as I was informed that it was "refinished" by the seller's mother several decades ago, and is pretty thin in spots. No signs of sanding, thankfully.