If you like odd phonographs...

CurtA

This violin mounted on a phonograph gave me an idea to create a mount for Victor machines to convert a violin to a removable "horn" that in no way changes an original machine permanently.  Put it on or take it off in place of a conventional horn and elbow.  

It should be an easy project...  Just use a repro aluminum horn elbow...

Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 9.32.35 PM.png

Edited by CurtA
  • Like 1

This one is from Germany - on their forum they helped identify it for me (1913) with ads from newspapers from the day. It really amplifies THE WAVES!

DSC_1228.JPG

Edited by Hogan
  • Like 3

This one is spanish - according to the original owners (I bought it (1964) it won a medal in the great Spanish-American Exhibition in Seville in 1929. It is not a one-off,    I´ve seen the body of one - with the hole for the crank, but nothing else left there, also a couple of years ago another was for sale on Ebay, in pretty poor condition though. It is silver coated brass, has a rosewood base and a large mother-of-pearl plate there to imitate water. Sounded just great. I sold it to The mechanical music museum in Copenhagen in the 70-ies (that does no longer exist) and the gramophone was last seen being auctioned away at Christies in London.

sevilla 1.jpg

Edited by Hogan
  • Like 2

And lastly - for now, from me - The Nirona! A childrens gramophone. People have told me they think it looks like some kind of vegetable... it was very popular, cheap - and sounded and worked so well that it expanded its market, lots of grownups bought it and used it...

IMG_5399.JPG

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hogan said:

This one is spanish - according to the original owners (I bought it (1964) it won a medal in the great Spanish-American Exhibition in Seville in 1929. It is not a one-off,    I´ve seen the body of one - with the hole for the crank, but nothing else left there, also a couple of years ago another was for sale on Ebay, in pretty poor condition though. It is silver coated brass, has a rosewood base and a large mother-of-pearl plate there to imitate water. Sounded just great. I sold it to The mechanical music museum in Copenhagen in the 70-ies (that does no longer exist) and the gramophone was last seen being auctioned away at Christies in London.

sevilla 1.jpg

I have seen pictures of this machine somewhere before - maybe from the auction...

19 hours ago, Hogan said:

This one is from Germany - on their forum they helped identify it for me (1913) with ads from newspapers from the day. It really amplifies THE WAVES!

DSC_1228.JPG

I really like this Shell-O-Phone...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2023 at 7:08 PM, Hogan said:

DSC_1228.JPG

Here´s the ad I mentioned, just found it looking for something else... I think it´s probably the only existing machine of it´s kind

triton grammophon (1).jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

"I think it´s probably the only existing machine of it´s kind..."

We might have to correct that... anyone have a giant Pacific Triton Trumpet shell?Screenshot2023-11-29at9_05_34PM.png.35a3b594da8d1c5e286878073ed2d799.png