Spring replacement on Puck phonograph

Dan

Good Evening I’m looking for instructions on how to install a new spring on a Puck phonograph. I’m also looking for parts for this phonograph. 
Thanks 

Dan

Hi Dan,

I've bought usable springs for my Puck phonographs from Griffensclocks.com. Attached is a screenshot which gives their part number (starting with 7) The dimensions are 1/2" by .015" by 84." Other companies will be able to sell loop-end springs of similar dimensions, or so I hope. The last time I shopped, it seemed they were getting a little harder to find.

One nice thing about the Puck is, one can take off the side of the motor, drop the coiled and still-bound spring in place, maybe squeeze the innermost coil down around the spindle more snugly using needle nose pliers, then reassemble the  motor. Only then does one need to untwist the wire that keeps the spring bound up. Probably the safest and easiest spring change in the entire phonograph hobby!

Mine do well with a coating of vaseline mixed with graphite, applied with q-tips after the installation.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Rod Brown

griffensclocks -- puck springs.jpg

Croakinfrog is an ebay seller who often has puck parts, but their prices can be a bit lofty. They don't have a lot of competition. I've bought parts from them many times. They are a reliable seller.

Just to the right of ebay's blue 'Search' button is the word 'Advanced,' in small type. Click that to do an advanced search. Scroll down to near the bottom of the page to find 'Sellers,' where there is a field in which you can type croakinfrog. No 'g' on the end of the word 'croakin.' Click search to see what they have for sale. It should be possible to search within their items for 'puck.'

Enjoy!

Best, 

Rod

It wouldn't hurt to contact them about their Puck mandrel, or another current item, and tell them what parts you're looking for. I've done that before, and they came through with a governor I needed. It wasn't among their current listings, but they had one anyway. My impression is, they may have more parts in inventory than they have listed on ebay. I haven't found a website for them, so ebay seems to be the only obvious way to reach them.

👍

Rod

1 hour ago, Rodbrown said:

It wouldn't hurt to contact them about their Puck mandrel, or another current item, and tell them what parts you're looking for. I've done that before, and they came through with a governor I needed. It wasn't among their current listings, but they had one anyway. My impression is, they may have more parts in inventory than they have listed on ebay. I haven't found a website for them, so ebay seems to be the only obvious way to reach them.

👍

Rod

Thanks Rod , I have contacted them. I have a new spring but the end isn’t looped liked the original . See pictures attached.

Dan

IMG_3985.jpeg

IMG_3986.jpeg

IMG_3984.jpeg

IMG_3983.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Dan said:

Thanks Rod , I have contacted them. I have a new spring but the end isn’t looped liked the original . See pictures attached.

Dan

IMG_3985.jpeg

IMG_3986.jpeg

IMG_3984.jpeg

IMG_3983.jpeg

The original spring broke on the end that attaches to winding shaft

Just judging from your photos, it appears that your replacement spring is much longer and much heavier, (thicker), that the original spring. And, of course, it does not have the looped end. My guess is that this is not an appropriate replacement.

Thanks guys ,Rod another member in TMF (CurtA I’m pretty sure he’s a member here also) stated that the spring has to be replaced exactly as the original. The spring was removed when I received it . Can the spring be put in wrong ( I ordered the spring you told me about ) way .  Could you send me pictures of one of yours showing the springs position.

Thanks 

Dan

ps - I used croakinfrog for parts , they were very helpful 

Contact Brian Parlier at:    thephonographshop.com

I'm  pretty sure he can custom make a spring with a looped end, if he doesn't have them made up.

Your other choice is to try re-using your original spring by re-forming the looped end where it broke off.  Heat the end red hot with a torch far enough to form the loop, then let it cool by itself.  This will take out the temper so you can bend it, or cut it as needed.  Once you have it formed, re-heat it red hot and plunge it in oil to cool it, which will re-temper it.  Your Puck is more of a display piece than a player, so this should suffice.

The above is assuming that the looped end broke off...

Edited by CurtA
clarification

21 minutes ago, CurtA said:

Contact Brian Parlier at:    thephonographshop.com

I'm  pretty sure he can custom make a spring with a looped end, if he doesn't have them made up.

Your other choice is to try re-using your original spring by re-forming the looped end where it broke off.  Heat the end red hot with a torch far enough to form the loop, then let it cool by itself.  This will take out the temper so you can bend it, or cut it as needed.  Once you have it formed, re-heat it red hot and plunge it in oil to cool it, which will re-temper it.  Your Puck is more of a display piece than a player, so this should suffice.

Thanks Curt it broke on the end it connects to winding shaft so I guess I could do the same and drill a new hole. I was able to get a new spring with the loop end . So I can try repairing the original too and have a spare. I read other posts about fixing springs the same process you explained to me . Could be a good learning procees to fix it. Thanks

Dan

On 9/13/2023 at 8:36 AM, CurtA said:

Once you have it formed, re-heat it red hot and plunge it in oil to cool it, which will re-temper it.  Your Puck is more of a display piece than a player, so this should suffice.

In my experience, the reheat and oil quench is not a good idea. It makes the spring end brittle. Original springs are annealed at the ends for this reason. 

30 minutes ago, Dan said:

Good Afternoon I got the spring installed and working . Now I have to work on reproducer . Thanks to all for the help.

Dan

Great news! Thanks for the update!