Victor Royal

phonogfp

As occasionally happens, once a book or article has been published, new information emerges.  Such is the case with the article on the Victor Royal in the current (September 2023) issue of the APS magazine.  In it, I claimed that one of the pictured examples (#425) was the earliest-known example.  Well, as of today, at least 4 earlier examples of the Royal have been made known to me - one of which is #93! 

VictorRoyalNo_93.thumb.jpg.43832922657015d0b0a489102183558f.jpg

Courtesy of Darrell Lehman.

This is one of the instances where Victor clearly did not begin serial numbering the model at 500.

I've heard from several collectors that they didn't know the earliest Royals had plain grey metal rather than the better-known "oxidized bronze" finish on their metal parts.  A few have expressed satisfaction in learning that their early grey Royals are correct, and not the result of an over-zealous restorer.

George P.

• Like 4

Having been an active collector for over 60 years now, I'm embarrassed to admit that I was one of those who was unaware of the plain grey metal finish of early Rs. I seriously enjoyed your article and the exciting (to me) look at these wonderful little machines.

George, what a nice article and I was also surprised by the gray metal early Rs. I have two R machines. One is a later front mount with a Exhibition Junior reproducer which I kind of think should be a normal Exhibition reproducer after reading your article. But, I like the setup. My other one is an over restored Rigid Arm R. They are two of my favorite machines.

Years ago I had a Vic P that had gray metal finishes. I was admonished by a fellow collector because the "oxidized bronze" had been polished off. I didn't know, but now feel it was likely original on that machine too. 

Thanks Dan.  I was lucky in that my first Victor Royal (purchased in September 1973) was an early grey Royal (serial #2111).  I quickly noticed that other Royals had that attractive "oxidized bronze" finish, but mine had come out of a shop unrestored, and I was sure the metal was original.  Eventually I realized that this grey finish was found only on the earliest Royals.

I've never seen a Victor P with this finish, but it makes perfect sense.

George P.

Good question, Ben.  At this point, I'm presuming the numbering began at #1.  I hope to have that theory proven or disproven someday!

George P.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any idea what the latest serial number might be on a Victor Royal ?  The Serial number on my Victor Royal is 25766.  Just curious 

8 hours ago, Solophoneman said:

Does anyone have any idea what the latest serial number might be on a Victor Royal ?  The Serial number on my Victor Royal is 25766.  Just curious 

As noted in the article, the Royal is thought to have reached production of approximately 44,000.

George P.

I have not received my September issue yet but thanks to the wonderful ability to access it online was able to go to the APS website and read the article.  Great article, obviously spawning a lot of interest since right after, serial no. 93 and three other lower numbers surfaced.  I had not known of the early gray finish Royals either and had I seen one would have probably assumed the finish had been rubbed out.

Well done George.

On 9/2/2023 at 8:12 PM, phonogfp said:

As noted in the article, the Royal is thought to have reached production of approximately 44,000.

George P.

Does that mean they really made 44,000? 

• 2 weeks later...