Store brand labels

Neilvanstem

Sutton/Nauck American record label book says c. 1906-1907 All known copies single sided. It duplicates material on Excelsior, International Record and other IRC labels. 

• Like 2

Clico was one of many "client brands" pressed by the International Record Company.  The IRC was incorporated in 1904, and produced records from 1905-1907.  Clico was one of the later (1906-07) clients serviced by the company.  All known Clico pressings are single-sided, and contain recordings available on other IRC labels.

George P.

• Like 2

This topic reminded me of the many colorful and interesting labels the International Record Company manufactured.  I ran upstairs and shot a number that are here, but there are others I don't have.  I hope folks enjoy these.

George P.

IRCInter.JPG

IRCExcel.JPG

IRCblank.JPG

IRCBuckeye.JPG

IRCCleartone.JPG

IRCEagle2.JPG

IRCFaultless.JPG

IRCPhilhar.JPG

IRCSiegel.JPG

IRCVimgreen.JPG

IRCVimtan.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks George for those pictures. I have one example of that last Vim label but none of the others. I would love to find a copy of The Buckeye label.

You're very welcome.  Some of the International Record Company labels are relatively easy to find (such as "Eagle" and "Excelsior"), but the Buckeye is a tough one.

George P.

PatheLogical

Great labels George --- good to see a few I don't have ?  !!!

One other comment --- I believe the full-color Eagle Records you show, as well as the Concert Record,  are both from the Leeds & Catlin Company.   I do believe the rest are from from IRC --- although I've never seen the green The Vim Record (not at all like the two  "common" white/black/red varieties from Chicago, IL), and I don't quite know what to make of it!   References: American Record Labels and Companies - An Encyclopedia (1891 - 1943), by Sutton & Nauck; and American Record Companies and Producers 1888 - 1950, by Sutton.   Both works are indispensable for label collectors.

Thanks again,

Bob

Edited by PatheLogical

You're absolutely right, Bob!  Pure carelessness on my part...  It's also shown in Leeds & Catlin Records, A History and Discography by William R. Bryant (Edited and Annotated by Allan Sutton).  Had I consulted any of those three books, I'd have certainly left off the full-color Eagle and the Concert.  I have all my International Record Company and Leeds records in one cabinet, which probably isn't a good idea! 

If I can figure out how to delete those two Leeds & Catlin pressings from the post above, I'll do so.

Thanks for pointing out my error!

George P.

While doing an unrelated record search, I ran across what I believe are additional International Record Company pressings.  As always, I'm open to corrections!

According to Allan Sutton's American Record Companies and Producers, 1888-1950, the United Hebrew Disk and Cylinder Company /  United Hebrew Record Company had discs pressed first by Leeds & Catlin, then by the Auburn Button Works (which pressed International Record Company discs).  Here's an example of what I believe to be a later (circa 1907) pressing by Auburn Button Works.  Although not technically an IRCo. pressing, it naturally looks and feels like one, so I'm including it here.  (Auburn also pressed records for Zonophone but I'm not going to post any Zonophones on this thread!)

IRChebrew.thumb.JPG.c7b2f8a30735c7780f5a80107e5078cd.JPG

This Nightingale Record was pressed by The International Record Company circa. 1906-07, before production for Englewood was switched to Columbia.

IRCnightingale.thumb.JPG.ca3706be1cad61e1bae7b79f4c07a720.JPG

Finally, after the Talkophone Company discontinued carrying the Leeds & Catlin gold foil "Leeds" Records, it introduced its own label, and by 1906 these were being pressed by the International Record Company at Auburn.  This label is on an 8 3/4" diameter disc, and - except for the odd size - it appears to be an IRCo. product.

IRCtalkophone.thumb.JPG.83efd5a00ff35123fe7a1f760af858c1.JPG

Barring anything else I may stumble across upstairs, I think I've shown all the International Record Company pressings I have here.  I'd be interesting in seeing others!

George P.

• Like 1

Neilvanstem

Again nice labels all. Nice to see the Central camera store record label. I have a photo here just a tad different. I spoke to the grandson of the original owner on Wabash one day where the store still exists. He did not even know there were labels like this in existence so I sent him a copy of the two labels I have. He was quite grateful. The store had been looted and I think burned during the recent riots so do not know if they will reopen. I hope so as it is a part of Wabash since 1899. They have nice old fashioned signage too outside. 

central camera label 2.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

Here's another International Record Company pressing from Auburn upon which I was just outbid on eBay:

AuburnButtonRecordSquareDeal.png.822e242b5106bd9e8f403160e9a8c96b.png

• Like 3

On 7/2/2020 at 5:58 PM, phonogfp said:

IRChebrew.thumb.JPG.c7b2f8a30735c7780f5a80107e5078cd.JPG

Yiddish "Foigele" looks like German "Vögele," birds, and indeed a check of the dictionary confirms this.  In Pennsylvania "Dutch" the surname name "Fegely" (rhymes with "vaguely") is a derivative. Small world. Can someone here translate the Hebrew? 

Edited by Henry