The Don Gfell Education Center, Milan OH

AudioAntique

AudioAntique

Following is a news release from the Edison Birthplace in Milan Ohio.  We encourage members of the APS Forum to consider contributing to the Don Gfell Education Center. This is an opportunity to be part of a tremendous effort on behalf of the Birthplace. Don has touched so many lives in his pursuit of educating not only youth, but the public on the marvelous works of Thomas Edison.

Rob & Joan

For Immediate Release

Friday, August 11, 2023

director@tomedison.org

419-706-3122

EXCITING NEW CHANGES AT EDISON BIRTHPLACE

The Don Gfell Education Center

On the 100th anniversary of Thomas Edison’s last trip to his hometown of Milan, Ohio on August 11, 1923, the Edison Birthplace Museum is thrilled to announce plans for a major addition to his humble birthplace with a kick-off capital fundraising campaign to bring the Don Gfell Education Center to life.

The late Don Gfell, a lifelong educator from Milan and Edison aficionado, left his mark on Edison’s hometown and in the National Statuary Hall where, thanks in large part to Don, a statue of his hero stands in the U.S. Capital. Gfell, a consummate teacher who loved captivating students with hands-on Edison exhibits, amassed a priceless collection of Edison inventions.

The Birthplace Museum hopes to display some of those incredible items and incorporate hands-on exhibits, including sound recording and playback and electrical experiments, to amaze visitors. The project involves extensive reconstruction of an existing museum building to accommodate the new attractions and added traffic.

The spark of electricity is in the air over the planned Gfell Education Center at the Edison Birthplace Museum. See an architect’s rendering of the exciting addition here. The fundraising goal to make it happen is $100,000 and starts today.

Contributions can be made online, at Croghan Bank Milan, or at the Edison Birthplace, PO Box 451, Milan, Ohio 44846.   https://checkout.square.site/merchant/ML73RWVRYEK5Y/checkout/PNOZTO6G3UWMAXVGCEX2LMK3

All checks can be made out to Edison Birthplace Association.

• Thanks 1

This is a really great way to honor Don who was one of the respected giants in the phonograph community. I just sent my donation and urge those of you that can to donate even if something small.

This information originally posted last week on the Talking Machine Forum.  I know it's early days, and August at that, but given Don's contributions to the phonograph world, one would think that folks would be much more enthusiastic and generous.  If every member gave just $10, the fund raising goal would be met very quickly.  Let's do it!

Raphael

• Like 1

Going into my ninth year of higher education, and fourth year of medical studies, I'm not in a position to donate. However I hope that the fundraiser goes well.

• Like 1

I spoke to a very prominent member of the phonograph community today, and he advised me that in the near future he will be making a substantial contribution.  It would be wonderful if others would just give a little, even if it means forgoing a cup of coffee or a beer or two.  There are thousands of collectors, and so far only a handful have stepped up to the plate.  C'mon guys, it's time to give back in memory of somebody who gave so much to us.

Raphael