Neilvanstem

Neilvanstem

The Drury high school band of 1924 is my most expensive record. Dad was born and raised in North Adams, Massachusetts and I have cousins who still live there. They had a full weekend in New York and did much more then record this record. I show a photo of a post card with their itinerary. A full weekend indeed. I show too the last surviving member of the band who was in an assisted living facility at the same time as one of my cousins. I show too a photo of a Drury band with Hoover but read in 1924 or so they played for Coolidge. I read Edison would record anything if you bought three hundred of the record so assume they made three hundred of these. New labels were made and given to me by the seller. I only used the one. The good label has the date on it and I would never cover that up. Another cousins wife told me the band masters son lives down the street from her. Fred the older guy lived into his 100s and has the hat on. Dad at a game in the 30s with the D on this shirt for Drury. He was a cheer leader which was a surprise to me.  I have played this record over the phone for cousins still living in the town. They got a kick out of it. By the way I paid $300.00 for it and am totally satisfied. I had lots of fun finding out about the band and their wonderful days in New York City. 

drury band member.jpg

drury game1.JPG

drury postcard.jpg

drury postcardtoo.jpg

drury4.jpg

drury5.jpg

drury6.jpg

drury7.jpg

Edited by Neilvanstem
  • Like 1

Auxetophone

My most expensive records are no longer mine. I went through a phase...then I realized I collect records to play, and you never really become comfortable playing $500+ records (especially while enjoying a cocktail...), so they found new homes! 

Interesting story on this record though, what a great find!

• Like 1

PatheLogical
1 hour ago, Auxetophone said:

you never really become comfortable playing $500+ records (especially while enjoying a cocktail...)

Brandon, you really need to show up for the all night record spin at Bixfest in Racine, WI and loosen up.    Some attendees literally have been know to pass the bottle (along with the $500+ record) around the room from one inebriated collector to the next.  I sweat like crazy when one of my records got passed around one morning at 3:00am!!!   Not all of those in attendance imbibe while seated listening to records, but suffice it to say over the years I've had several people pass out with their head ending up on my shoulder.   Ah, memories...

Neil --- great record, and tough to find.   I'm glad you got one and really appreciate it!   Bring it to the next Bixfest!!!

Bob

• Haha 1

AmberolaAndy

My most expensive record still to date is a 1980s Electrophone cylinder of the Edison advertising record. Unfortunately this must be some of the very first cylinders made after 1929, So they haven’t figured out the kinks yet and the recording is faint and too fast. 

The funny thing is I will spend all this money on a machine, but I bargain hunt when it comes to records. I cannot bring myself to spend more than $25 for a single record! And is the reason after 12 years of collecting, I still own 0 Berliners,  7 inch Victors (I Have some pre-dog 10inch and 8 inch Victors), 7inch Climaxes and early Columbia’s (have a couple 10in), Zonophones, Paramounts, Black Swans, Herwins, Black Patti’s, and just got my first brown wax record (thanks to Jerry) but I don’t have a machine to play it. (Concert  cylinder) I have never found a record made earlier than 1901 out in the wild.

E11165DC-7FAB-4A25-BD22-35BB4C3D9105.jpeg

Edited by AmberolaAndy

Neilvanstem
22 hours ago, PatheLogical said:

Brandon, you really need to show up for the all night record spin at Bixfest in Racine, WI and loosen up.    Some attendees literally have been know to pass the bottle (along with the $500+ record) around the room from one inebriated collector to the next.  I sweat like crazy when one of my records got passed around one morning at 3:00am!!!   Not all of those in attendance imbibe while seated listening to records, but suffice it to say over the years I've had several people pass out with their head ending up on my shoulder.   Ah, memories...

Neil --- great record, and tough to find.   I'm glad you got one and really appreciate it!   Bring it to the next Bixfest!!!

Bob

Bob I confess crowds are not my thing and certainly not ones that drink. I do not like most drunks which sounds like what you are describing. Most folks I know and hang with are sober folks. lol I do not see myself going to any fests in the near future. I might go to Union next year for old times sake though!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Neilvanstem
On 6/27/2020 at 3:45 PM, PatheLogical said:

Bob

Ha ha Bob do not think I will be attending the Bixfest as I do not drink and find it hard to tolerate those that over indulge. But thanks for the warning! lol Neil