Inventory of Beethoven and Schubert Edisonic phonographs

pughphonos

pughphonos

Hello All --

It's taken me a while to join the rest of you who have migrated here from the Talking Machine Forum.   Better late than never.   I was checking the TMF a couple days ago and saw that all images were gone that were posted over a year ago.

At the end of 2019, when Brandon left TMF and there were indications of trouble ahead, I saved to Word (not a perfect option, I know) my Edisonic inventory.   Those files are attached.   I'm not sure how to easily eliminate the excessive spacing, but maybe one or some of you could advise.  For the  time being the text of the inventory still lives on TMF and you can look over there for the dates of the original postings; then return here and go through the 25 Word Documents for the photos  (which I have labelled with beginning and end dates).

Best regards --

Mindy P.

Edisonic string 2014 Apr 21.docx Edisonic string 2014 Apr 22.docx Edisonic string 2014 Apr 23-25.docx Edisonic string 2014 Apr 25-29.docx Edisonic string 2014 Apr 30-May 1.docx Edisonic string 2014 May 2-14.docx Edisonic string 2014 May 18-30.docx Edisonic string 2014 Jun 4-Jul 7.docx Edisonic string 2014 Jul 22-2015 Mar 8.docx Edisonic string 2015 Mar 8-10.docx Edisonic string 2015 Mar 10-12.docx Edisonic string 2015 Mar 13-Apr 7.docx Edisonic string 2015 Apr 7-Jun 2.docx Edisonic string 2015 Jun 2-Aug 7.docx Edisonic string 2015 Aug 7-Sep 17.docx Edisonic string 2015 Sep 17-Oct 17.docx Edisonic string 2015 Oct 17-Nov 13.docx Edisonic string 2015 Nov 13-30.docx Edisonic string 2015 Dec 1-11.docx Edisonic string 2015 Dec 11-24.docx Edisonic string 2015 Dec 24-2016 Jan 17.docx Edisonic string 2016 Jan 25-Feb 16.docx Edisonic string 2016 Feb 17-Nov 25.docx Edisonic string 2014 Jul 7-22.docx

Edisonic string 2016 Dec 16-2019 Nov 19.docx

Edited by pughphonos
  • Like 1

Hello Mindy, and welcome "back!" 

Thank you very much for posting these Word documents.  I expect some of the technical wizards here will come up with some way to post your text and images directly to this forum without needing to download the file.

In any event, thanks for your commitment to the Schubert/Beethoven Disc Phonographs.

George P>

pughphonos
41 minutes ago, phonogfp said:

Hello Mindy, and welcome "back!" 

Thank you very much for posting these Word documents.  I expect some of the technical wizards here will come up with some way to post your text and images directly to this forum without needing to download the file.

In any event, thanks for your commitment to the Schubert/Beethoven Disc Phonographs.

George P>

Hi George -- thank YOU for the nice greeting.   The Edisonic group put in a lot of work and commentary on TMF and I'm glad to do my part in making sure it's not lost.   I'm glad to hear of the technical wizards here and indeed hope they can make the images (in association with their texts) easier to access than opening a bunch of Word files.

Best regards to you.

RodPickett

Welcome to the Forum

This is a worthwhile effort that we would be happy to support.

We don’t have access to the TMF files, and its database construct is different from ours.

There is one possibility to suggest, but it will take some manual effort.  There may be other ideas.

René maintains an Edison Opera Database:

Edison Opera database.

A similar Excel Workbook, converted to PDF, could be maintained and referenced.

It would consist of Serial Number and NOTES.

The NOTES column would reference a hyperlink to another Word Document, also converted to a PDF and uploaded to our Servers.

This Word document (converted to PDF) could simply be a template for the relevant Comments / Description for each entry you wish to include with photos embedded.

Refer to this sample:

https://apsdevelopmentblob.blob.core.windows.net/sandbox/Edison%20Edisonic%20Word%20Table%20Database.pdf

Rod

Edited by RodPickett
Mod for mobile devices

pughphonos
2 hours ago, RodPickett said:

Welcome to the Forum

This is a worthwhile effort that we would be happy to support.

We don’t have access to the TMF files, and its database construct is different from ours.

There is one possibility to suggest, but it will take some manual effort.  There may be other ideas.

René maintains an Edison Opera Database:

Edison Opera database.

A similar Excel Workbook, converted to PDF, could be maintained and referenced.

It would consist of Serial Number and NOTES.

The NOTES column would reference a hyperlink to another Word Document, also converted to a PDF and uploaded to our Servers.

This Word document (converted to PDF) could simply be a template for the relevant Comments / Description for each entry you wish to include with photos embedded.

Refer to this sample:

https://apsdevelopmentblob.blob.core.windows.net/sandbox/Edison_Edisonic_Database.pdf

Rod

Hi Rod --

Glad to be aboard!

I like your proposal (not to preclude others, as you yourself are willing to allow).   Having the serial numbers serve as the basic file arrangement eliminates the need for the index I was maintaining on the TMF.   The NOTES field would preserve the two most interesting elements (to my mind) of the thread: 1) the photos; and 2) descriptions that will include all crucial elements of  provenance and narrative (e.g. how each phono was obtained--from whom by whom; along with places and dates).   I'd be happy to work up those notes.   It will take some time, but there's no rush as people can use the Word files in the meanwhile (clunky but functional).   I can check back in with you after the holidays after I generate some content.

Anyway, have a great 4th!

MIndy

Edited by pughphonos
editing for clarity