Please Help: Identify Machine & Restoration Contact

CBrink

I am eager to rescue and repair this machine from my grandmother's basement so that I can display it proudly. I am new to all this, so please forgive my ignorance on the topic. Photos are enclosed here. The machine is about 46" tall and 20x20 at the top. I do not have the knowledge/skill to do it myself, so would need to outsource the repairs to an individual or shop that can take it on. I have called several antique and woodworking shops all around the Midwest and have not had success in confirming a contact for Victrola restoration.

I am regrettably not available to attend the Midwest Music Expo June 17-18 in Schaumburg IL, but will be attending an antique market in Elkhorn WI on June 25. If anyone is attending the Expo and would be willing to share any networking contacts acquired, I would be most grateful. 

I sincerely appreciate any advice or assistance that you can provide here on this forum. Happy to answer questions and provide additional details, as well. 

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

MisterJive47

Hey there,

Welcome to the APS! Sad to hear that you won't be able to make it to the show. Always a fun time and very informative. 

The machine you have is an Edison C-150, also known as the Sheraton. I'm not sure on the exact production year (I don't have a book handy to provide that information), but it would presumably have been made sometime in the late teens. These machines were designed to ONLY play Edison's proprietary system on Diamond Disc records. They're different from standard 78s in that they are vertically cut instead of horizontal and use a "permanent" diamond stylus in place of the traditional steel needle. Regular 78s can be played with this if an adapter is fitted to it in place of the factory equipped reproducer.

If the reproducer is in need of servicing (which it likely is) the best in the business by far is fellow club member Wyatt Markus.

The drive trains on these are usually quite robust. Unless they are badly abused, you might be able to get her going with little more than just a cleaning, luring, and adjustment. Even if you are not up to trying a restoration yourself, check out member "Dyslexic Genius" Brett Hurt's channel on YouTube and you will find a wealth of information that may help you out.

It's an early C-150, 1915-1917, as it still has the pinstriping. By 1918 Edison stopped doing it for the lower end models as a cost cutting measure.  

• Like 1

MisterJive47
1 hour ago, BenL said:

It's an early C-150, 1915-1917, as it still has the pinstriping. By 1918 Edison stopped doing it for the lower end models as a cost cutting measure.  

Sharp eye! I didn't notice the pinstripes on this one.