Some Interesting (To Me, Anyway) Finds

Chrisingramci

Chrisingramci

I've been going through some of my late Dad's things and have come across a number of records associated with his father. My grandfather Johnny Ingram was a Big Band musician. He played all the reeds, flute, piccolo, and sang tenor. He was a dependable "session man" who could read the sheet music and get his part down immediately. He played in recording sessions with pretty much any Big Band you can name. Some of his career was spent with the Cities Service Band of America, and he also played with John B Gambling's in-studio band on WOR, New York.

I discovered several recordings, some of which I presume are "private recordings," and at least one commercial record:

This is one of 'Pappy" singing a popular ditty with, I assume, "Dave's Happy Three" in 1937. One-sided.

IMG_0527.thumb.jpeg.1175faeaba94c0ff343c59c46f734006.jpeg

This is a clearly commercial recording. Rudy Vallee, more talking than singing.

IMG_0530.thumb.jpeg.fbab8e836fea27cd3f9deebd4f8de1ed.jpeg

Pappy also recorded "I Carry the Mail," though I'm not sure when. I'm told it was before Vallee, but have no proof. Again, I assume this was a private recording.

IMG_0529.thumb.jpeg.7f591787cd1d85c4ce5050772b2dfc33.jpeg

Growing up the son of a disc jockey, I was accustomed to getting "promotional use only" records; I didn't know they existed in the 1940s. Again, Pappy with the Cities Service Band of America:

IMG_0528.thumb.jpeg.bc84c950a433eca6bbb66dffa6843107.jpeg

Not sure, but I suspect this was recorded at WOR, New York. Sometime between 1925 and '59 (I know, a huge window), if it was related to the John B Gambling show.

IMG_0532.thumb.jpeg.32ac3790b89cc67bfd85252cd5c4bf00.jpeg

And, finally, another presumably private recording of Pappy singing "A Pretty Girl is Like a Melody." Again, date unknown, but likely 1930s.

IMG_0531.thumb.jpeg.7937ffba809405fb19ce84849a20c937.jpeg

I hope I haven't wasted anyone's time here -- nothing of great value or import. Just a fleshing-out of the kind of recording that was going on, and, of course, of the story of my grandfather.

Cheers!

Chris

Edited by Chrisingramci
  • Like 1

As a genealogy fan and phono collector, I can't imagine anything more interesting, sentimental and important on a personal level than these recordings - wish I had one of my grandfather...  

I'm glad someone saved them for you.

Curt

• Like 1

Chrisingramci

Thanks; I know I am truly fortunate to have these living links to past family. In 1986, my late father had hours of this material dubbed to 10" reels, and then to cassettes for all of the family to have. They're great, and I now have the reels as well, but there's nothing better than hearing it on the original records. Some of it sounds better than the studio-dubbed tapes! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Springmotor70

You are quite fortunate indeed! -  I would love to be able to have heard my grandparents when they were young.

I did record them singing on cassette tape about 1980.  My grandmother (born 1909) played the harmonica by ear.  She was taught by her father who would play with the neighbors on fiddle and piano.  When they would host a dance party at their house the last song of the night was always Home Sweet Home with a fast little quick-step variation in the middle.  I taped my grandmother playing that on harmonica as well and a few years after she died I recorded it on to a brown wax cylinder like they might have done all those years ago.  I did the spoken introduction, giving credit to my grandmother and great grandfather and ending the recording with "Good Night Folks!  Have a safe ride home!"

• Like 1

Chrisingramci

What a great memento! I wish I had recordings of my grandmother, who led a professional trio that performed up and down the East Coast way back when. Sadly, I can find no recordings of "The Trombley Trio." I'll keep looking, though!