Victor Talking Machine Photogravures for store display

melvind

I have a number of framed photogravure prints provided by the Victor Talking Machine company around 1910 or so. There is a catalog (which I own but cannot find right now) that shows which artist images could be ordered. The reason for this post is I found a very unique one of Caruso in The Girl of the Golden West which is a role he originated at the Metropolitan Opera with Emmy Destin in 1910. I already had this print, but the one I just found has been tinted I assume by a period photographer that painted photos. It was a common thing at that time. I have a tinted picture of my grandparents from 1917 that is done this way. As far as I can tell tinted versions of these early photogravures were not released by Victor. So, I am assuming it was done by a store owner to make it show in a more exotic way in the store.

Has anyone seen other tinted versions of these early photogravures?

Here is the original one I have had for several years.

20200624_080432.thumb.jpg.2f0116a6bcc3f76894809077aceae352.jpg

Here is the one I just found that is in color.

20200624_080209.thumb.jpg.5e17975b3eb4e8489aea794c6cc83d80.jpg

Edited by melvind
  • Like 1

PatheLogical

Dan, what a fantastic find to add to your great collection of these prints!   As you know, I too have a copy the Victor catalog of photogravures you eluded to in your post above.    Below are pics of the catalog's cover and the page featuring this print.   My copy of the catalog measures 8.5" X 6", and contains 24 pages (one duplicate page) which are held in place by two brass brads.   Pages could easily be added or removed at will.  

Congratulations Dan,

Bob

DSCN2666.JPG

DSCN2668.JPG

• Like 1

Dan, I also have several of these photogravures and have never seen any that have been colorized. I agree that it was probably done after it left the Victor factory. Here are some pictures of the photogravures that I have. I have often wondered how many different artists were represented with these pictures, I never realized that copies of the original catalog existed. As with yours, they all came with the same frame. Not to be outdone by Victor, Columbia also issued pictures of its artists.

Bill

DSC05484.JPG

DSC05481.JPG

DSC05482.JPG

DSC05483.JPG

DSC05485.JPG

• Like 1

These are great Bill. I have a lot of these, but none of the ones you have. I have several Columbias too, but they do not seem to be as common as the Victor versions. Not that any of them are overly common. I found my first one in an antique store in Oshkosh, Wisconsin on a trip to the Union phonograph show. I have added them as I found them ever since. 

As Bob mentioned above, the catalog has brads that hold the book together so more pages could be added over time.

PatheLogical
2 hours ago, melvind said:

I found my first one in an antique store in Oshkosh, Wisconsin on a trip to the Union phonograph show.

I remember you bought that in my "backyard", and I've never allowed you back here for a visit since! ?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't you pick up a real nice Columbia print of Emmy Destin at Union a couple years back Dan?   Or was that Stan?

24 minutes ago, Valecnik said:

Didn't you pick up a real nice Columbia print of Emmy Destin at Union a couple years back Dan?   Or was that Stan?

Yes, but my friend Darold Edwards found it for me and delivered it to Union. It was already nicely framed, but not in the original framing it might have been in when hung in a store. But, nicely done and I treasure it.

20200719_105952.thumb.jpg.7c18ce98b2da97506098daca83462d4d.jpg

• Like 1